Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wings TV Series

mhurst

I have tried, using the forum's search engine, to find a posting about the 1970s TV series, "Wings", but with no success. Does anybody remember it, and has it been discussed here before? If not then if you can order the two-series set on DVD from Amazon you can be assured of a fascinating glimpse of what the early days of aerial warfare must have been like (the series covers the period 1915-early 1916). I have to admit to remembering most of the series from watching it first time round, and seeing it again recently only reminded me how good it was, especially for a low-budget TV production.

The stories seem to have been well researched, although I daresay those more knowledgeable than I am on the period will find minor faults. The acting was excellent, especially Nicholas Jones as Captain Triggers, his best ever role, although some of the storylines seem to have had a little artistic licence applied to them - but then this is historical drama, not historical documentary The flying scenes were very convincing, even though many were filmed using scale replicas, and vividly highlighted the devastating effect of the German introduction of forward-firing machine guns.

Watch the series if you can.

Remember it well...even the theme tune which I bought as a 45, I thought Tim Woodward took a great part...might have to put the DVD on the Christmas list....cheers

After recent surgery, I watched the whole two discs again in two days, it was really good recuperating stuff, a little of the artistic licence as you said, but very enjoyable. Pity it stopped at 1916 & did not carry on to the final stages of the war.

Mind you a couple of them would have won DCM's, MC's or even DSO's for the escaping scenes.

Peter

Didn't the Jeremy Child character (based on Lanoe Hawker) go round shooting German pilots with his trusty Winchester rifle?

IIRC, for some of the shots, they rigged up a replica with a VW beetle engine to turn the prop. It could be regularly seen trundling along the ground, whilst the action was being filmed in one of the huts. The story goes that one of the BBC crew was asted to move this replica, and managed to gun the engine to such an extent that it took off. Exit one BBC technician to Gents!

Bruce

It. Was a fabulous series in it's day. Wonder how we would take it today? after being used to the glitz

Of modern day productions, although I recently acquired the complete series of Blakes7 which scrubs

up quite well considering it is a 70's production.

I've watched Wings on DVD and quite enjoyed it. Admittedly, there were some strange aspects, such as the ease by which the characters were able to cross back into Allied territory after coming down behind the German lines (and the one episode where they saluted each other while not wearing caps) but it did get across the stopry of the very early days of aerial combat. The efforts made to give the impression that they had more than one airworthy BE2c to use were admirable.

It's a great shame that Series 3 was never made.

Gareth

I had the series delivered from Amazon around 3 weeks ago and I just finished watching it. I watched it as a young kid and used to really look forward to the next episode the following week, so I was curious to see how I would view it now with much more knowledge of WW1 and flying.

I really enjoyed it this time around and yes, there were some questionable goings on but on the whole, it conveyed a pretty good sense of how things were.

The replica that was used for taxi was an admirable reproduction but every time I saw the rear fuselage flexing/twisting and the elevators and horizontal stabiliser flopping around, I had to smile.

I would recommend the series to the die hard enthusiasts who would probably enjoy the simple stories and lack of glitz.

Dave

It looks I may have to add to the forums coffers and order the series, have been thinking of it for a while. Should arrive in plenty of time for the olympics. :whistle:

After recent surgery, I watched the whole two discs again in two days, it was really good recuperating stuff, a little of the artistic licence as you said, but very enjoyable. Pity it stopped at 1916 & did not carry on to the final stages of the war.

Peter

I suspect that a further series had been intended but was probably cancelled owing to lack of finance. With the casualty rate among pilots as high as it was, it was inevitable that at least one of the main characters had to be killed off by the end of the second series. That it was one of the minor characters showed that the others were being kept to fly another day.

And it was refreshing to watch a production that did not rely on CGI, as virtually everything does these days.

Melvin

Yes, got hold of this as a Christmas present for my better half; ex-RAF herself she has always been interested in WW1 aviation and wanted this. I found the early couple of episodes trying (I think the exposition on Tim Woodward's character did not convince me) but really enjoyed the rest and Nicholas Jones' character really stuck in the mind. Indeed, a shame it did not follow through to 1918.

I'm thinking of getting myself from the BBC website. I remember watching on the telly all those years ago.

BTW What accent did Sgt Farmer have ? Wasn't one of the cast (back in England) portraying a disabled veteran of Mons ? Anyone remember his regiment ?

I'm thinking of getting myself from the BBC website. I remember watching on the telly all those years ago.

BTW What accent did Sgt Farmer have ? Wasn't one of the cast (back in England) portraying a disabled veteran of Mons ? Anyone remember his regiment ?

He was in the cavalry, I think, and lost an arm after being pinned under a gun carriage.

I must try to pick up a copy. It has to be be better than that barmy 'Red Baron' fiasco which must be one of the worst war films ever made. Was 'Wings' produced as a direct result of the film 'Aces High' ( 'Journey's End' with aircraft) made the year before? Have I imagined the officer with the Winchester rifle?

• 2 months later...

No, you haven't imagined it - but it wasn't a winchester it was a MANNLICHER (spelling?). He put Alan before a court Marshall for cowardice. I can't remember the characters name but he was a VC winner.

Alan (the actor) actually went on to be the Squadron leader in "A Piece of Cake".

I just about remember the first series when screened on TV, and it made the weeks fly by when waiting for the next episode week after week. One one of my must abiding memories was the huge skid and the pilots position on the plane, making me think that the real inventors were just plain crazy!!

Will