Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking out cap

high wood

Can anyone tell me anything about the moth eaten cap in the photographs. I think that it is an other ranks walking out cap but I am not sure of the period that caps of this style were in use. Is the style unique to one regiment or would all infantry regiments have used a similar cap but with their own badges and buttons. I am not sure that the buttons are original as they seem too large for hat band buttons.

Inside

post-6480-0-41002300-1337450761_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-71362100-1337450876_thumb.jp

Can anyone tell me anything about the moth eaten cap in the photographs. I think that it is an other ranks walking out cap but I am not sure of the period that caps of this style were in use. Is the style unique to one regiment or would all infantry regiments have used a similar cap but with their own badges and buttons. I am not sure that the badges are original as they seem too large for hat band buttons.

Inside

It's a junior officers' pattern (privately purchased) forage cap for undress and was first introduced in 1902 to replace the earlier pattern that is sometimes referred to as the 'Station Masters Cap' (with its Railway Children association) but was officially the 'Staff Cap' and worn by officers and staff serjeants. The version that you have posted appears to me to be from the 1920s when the more shovel shaped peak became popular. The red band indicates that it was for a regiment/corps with a Royal title. Field officers wore (and still wear) the same cap, but with a peak edged with gold bullion wire decoration. General officers had gold bullion oak leaf decoration (see enclosed image). I also enclose a non-Royal pattern with the original shape of peak.

A version of the cap still exists today,but since 1953 it has been known generally as a No1 Dress Cap.

You can see many of the variations for this cap here: http://www.messdress...r_headress.html

post-599-0-83040500-1337451835_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-68367800-1337452281_thumb.jpg

And this was its predecessor.

post-599-0-12864800-1337452178_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-35225900-1337452200_thumb.jpg

the 'Station Masters Cap' (with its Railway Children association)

Now I'm thinking of Jenny Agutter wearing one ...

Thank you everyone for your contributions. The cap has modern Royal Anglian Regiment buttons which do not appear to match the age of the cap as the Royal Anglian Regiment was formed in 1964.

post-6480-0-21847000-1337518822_thumb.jp

Does the cap have regimental or general service pattern buttons ?

P.B.

Thank you everyone for your contributions. The cap has modern Royal Anglian Regiment buttons which do not appear to match the age of the cap as the Royal Anglian Regiment was formed in 1964.

It might well be a later cap P.B. The shovel shaped peak came in and out as a feature of the design and in later years it was not uncommon for a variety of shapes to be worn, depending upon regiment. The inner lining and degree of deterioration of the outer part will be your best indicator of age.

Now I'm thinking of Jenny Agutter wearing one ...

With what else :hypocrite: Steven?

Well, it can't be later than 1974. That's when Gieves amalgamated with Hawkes.

Gieves and Hawkes, aka "Thieves and Sharks" to anybody who was forced to purchase uniform items from them.

Whlst I'm on aka's, the No 1 Dress cap was commonly known as "The ***** Hat"

Edited: "****" was not what I originally wrote, but it rhymes with hat.