Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombing Officers badge, help required.

roger

Can someone help please with the correct colours of this badge for 1916.

Following a search which confused matters more than they already were to the best of my knowledge it's either, khaki grenade with white flames or red grenade with white flames or as I suspect both were worn.

Thanks in advance.

Roger.

Have you seen the following thread? In particular post 25:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109443&st=0

Thank you very much Andrew. That thread didn't appear in any of my searches and answers some other questions that have been keeping me awake at night. :thumbsup:

Roger.

This is a "grey" !!!!!!!!!! area. No period photos in colour of course. No portraits that I am aware of. I have never found a regulation or Clothing Dept. reference for officers as opposed to other ranks. There are indeed some excellent examples of Trench Mortar officers' uniforms wearing an officer version of the sister grenade badge but, from memory, I have not seen such on a Bombing Officer uniform.

One answer is "quite likely, no badge at all" because officer roles and appointments changed often within the unit. Most likely place to find such a badge might be among the staff of a Bombing School.

Photo, anybody?

Army Council Instruction 1410 of 16th July 1916

Badges for Bombers

1. With reference to AO's 402 & 403 of 1915 & ACI 407 of 1916, the badge approved for Regimental & Battalion Bombers will be worn by all Officer Instructors and NCO Instructors employed at a Command or Army Bombing School, but only for the duration of such employment.

2. This badge is not to be worn by any officer or other rank, even though trained as a bomber, of a Reserve unit. The units for which this badge is authorized are given in AO 403 of 1915.

55/Gen. No./494(S.D.3B)

post-7376-0-96003300-1338415434_thumb.jp

AO 403 of 1915.

Graham, you are a national treasure .......... many thanks!

..............thinks .............. now what does Grumpy want? ..................

post-7376-0-01013000-1338478126_thumb.jp

And the battalion bombing establishment as it was in November 1915.