Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Button ID

J Cooper

My Great Grandfather Served in the 7th South Lancashire Regiment # 15060, and the 8th/ Manchester Regiment TA 3511864

I was looking at the photo do the buttons belong to the South Lancashire? I have looked on the internet and come close but not identical thank you

Julie

post-6291-0-22550800-1337100560_thumb.jp

I would have thought that button came from one of the Rifle Regiments, or a Battalion that followed the Rifle Brigade traditions. Some Territorial units followed RB traditions despite being part of a Line Regiment.

Lancashire and Manchester are far too far North for me though!

G

Gareth

I would have thought that button came from one of the Rifle Regiments, or a Battalion that followed the Rifle Brigade traditions. Some Territorial units followed RB traditions despite being part of a Line Regiment.

I thought it was similar but he is still wearing the red rose on the top of his left arm so am a little confused and new to this:)

I have attached the full photo with hope someone might be able to explain more about the buttons, on his right arm it it appears he is still in the South Lancashire Regiment because of the Rose, any further information would be wonderful as I cannot find my Great Grandfathers Service records, I presume distroyed in WW2

Thank you for any help

post-6291-0-27252500-1337151682_thumb.jp

I think the rose is actually the insignia of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division. The 1/4th and 1/5th South Lancs were part of it.

Where did you get the information he was in the 7th South Lancs and 8th Manchesters?

Rgds

Tim D

Given the rifles button and the 55th Div insignia, this man is 99.999999% 5th South Lancs, which had its origins in the 2nd VB of the South Lancs, previously of the Lancashire Rifle Volunteers.

His MIC shows him as 7th South Lancs; but that was never in the 55th. Similarly, neither was the 8th Manchester.

Given the div insignia and the 15 Star ribbon; he must have been in the 5th SL (unrecorded) after his time with either.

Or, this is not Thomas Edwards (despite sharing the first name).

Cheers,

GT.

The South Lancs BWM/VM Roll shows Cpl 15060 Thomas Edwards serving in 7th SLR, 11th SLR & 1/5th SLR. He is one of a number of men who served in these Bns in this order.

Dave

I think the rose is actually the insignia of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division. The 1/4th and 1/5th South Lancs were part of it.

Where did you get the information he was in the 7th South Lancs and 8th Manchesters?

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim and everyone thanks for the input, I have the information from two of his medals my Grandmother gave me along with the photo of her Father, and I found his Medal card, I do think he was in the Manchesters after WW1?

I have a couple of other photos at different times during the war but I cannot see the buttons clearly. Thanks for your help it means a great deal.

Best wishes Julie

Will include medal card

post-6291-0-80459000-1337246744_thumb.jp

Cheers Julie,

Seems pretty clear then! You are very lucky to have Battalions recorded on his MIC.

The 7th Battalion landed at Boulogne on 18 July 1915, so that fits nicely with the date here on the MIC. The 7th Battalion was disbanded on 22 February 1918 when Brigades were reduced to 3 x Battalions from 4. The 11th Battalion was reduced to cadre strength on 15 May 1918, before returning to the UK in June 1918. He probably served with the 7th Battalion until disbandment, then joined the 11th Battalion until it was reduced/sent home and then joined the 1/5th Battalion. The photo you have posted appears to be 1/5th Battalion prior to his promotion to Corporal. You will see he eventually made Corporal in the South Lancs and then Sergeant in the Manchesters, which as you say was post war due to his 7 digit number and the award of the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

His movements detailed above by by Dave fit very nicely.

Rgds

Tim D

The South Lancs BWM/VM Roll shows Cpl 15060 Thomas Edwards serving in 7th SLR, 11th SLR & 1/5th SLR. He is one of a number of men who served in these Bns in this order.

Dave

Thank you Dave for the information :)

Cheers Julie,

Seems pretty clear then! You are very lucky to have Battalions recorded on his MIC.

The 7th Battalion landed at Boulogne on 18 July 1915, so that fits nicely with the date here on the MIC. The 7th Battalion was disbanded on 22 February 1918 when Brigades were reduced to 3 x Battalions from 4. The 11th Battalion was reduced to cadre strength on 15 May 1918, before returning to the UK in June 1918. He probably served with the 7th Battalion until disbandment, then joined the 11th Battalion until it was reduced/sent home and then joined the 1/5th Battalion. The photo you have posted appears to be 1/5th Battalion prior to his promotion to Corporal. You will see he eventually made Corporal in the South Lancs and then Sergeant in the Manchesters, which as you say was post war due to his 7 digit number and the award of the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

His movements detailed above by by Dave fit very nicely.

Rgds

Tim D

I didn't realise that Tim, a small consolation as I seem to find everyone elses Service records except this Great Grandfather who I share the same Birthday. Thank you for the addition info, all helps paint a pictur.:)