Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to Identify Regiment from Bulford Camp

adriandoughty

I believe this postcard to show my Great Grandfather David Doughty who was born in South Elkington, Lincolnshire on 1st april 1867. Prior to receiving this photograph i was not aware that he had been a member of the armed forces.

On Googling the photographer, it is suggested that the photograph was taken between 1902 and 1920, making David at least 35 years old; Was this too old to enlist?

Known information: 1881 census - Agricultural Labourer, 1891 census - not yet identified, 1893 Marriage Cert - Groom, 1901 census - Groom and Gardner, 1911 census - Farm Labourer, Died 12th Jan 1948 Dunston Fen, Lincolnshire.

I notice from the photo that he appears to be holding a riding crop (census states he was a groom), could he be a cavelry man? or employed / enlisted to look after or train the horses?

Any information about the uniform, military regiment / unit or the man himself would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian

post-90135-0-58580100-1337082021_thumb.j

I believe this postcard to show my Great Grandfather David Doughty who was born in South Elkington, Lincolnshire on 1st april 1867. Prior to receiving this photograph i was not aware that he had been a member of the armed forces.

On Googling the photographer, it is suggested that the photograph was taken between 1902 and 1920, making David at least 35 years old; Was this too old to enlist?

Known information: 1881 census - Agricultural Labourer, 1891 census - not yet identified, 1893 Marriage Cert - Groom, 1901 census - Groom and Gardner, 1911 census - Farm Labourer, Died 12th Jan 1948 Dunston Fen, Lincolnshire.

I notice from the photo that he appears to be holding a riding crop (census states he was a groom), could he be a cavelry man? or employed / enlisted to look after or train the horses?

Any information about the uniform, military regiment / unit or the man himself would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian

post-90135-0-58580100-1337082021_thumb.j

He is dressed for mounted duty with spurs, a riding whip and the belt from the 1903 mounted infantry bandolier equipment. He is also wearing the simplified service dress jacket, the bulk of which were issued between Sep 1914 and Jul 1915, so it is early in the war. The cap badge is indistinct. He might be a member of the transport section in an infantry battalion (it is not the Lincs though), or perhaps more likely from a yeomanry (i.e. part time cavalry) or even a regular cavalry regiment (but the latter less likely I feel). Can you post a close up of his cap badge?

Thank you for your speedy reply FROGSMILE; I only have a copy of the photo on normal paper at the moment and waiting for the electronic scan to arrive. Will look to post the close up as soon as i get it.

Many thanks for your help so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have digital image of the photograph and have taken a crop of the cap badge with more detail than the original image. Dont know if i can do anything to make it any clearer? Any information would be greatfully received.

Thanks again in advance for any information.

post-90135-0-66594300-1337939592_thumb.j

Definitely Army Veterinary Corps

A long shot, but I do know men from the AVC were transferred to the 8th Reserve Brigade RHA at Bulford in January 1917.

Their numbers were changed from TTxxxx in the AVC to 196xxx or 206xxx in the RHA.

EDIT: There is also chance he could be S.E. 12351 Pte (A/Cpl) David Dougherty of the AVC. Enlisted 26-10-15, Discharged 16-10-17 aged 49.

No overseas service but got a Silver War Badge No. 256389

Thank you so much for such a speedy reply!

Would such a person be eligeable for a service medal? I have searched at Ancestry for WW1 medal cards and can only find 2 David Doughty's. The first was a private from Yorkshire Regiment no. 1063 and was Dead, so definately not my Grand Father. The second a private in the Rifle Brigade No, 357 and later 204686, so again does not sound likely. Perhaps this is not my Grand Father after all? He would have been about 46 years old at the start of the war - was that too old to enlist?

Known information: Born 1st April 1867 - Elkington, Lincolnshire; 1881 census - Agricultural Labourer; 1891 census - not yet identified; 1893 Marriage Cert - Groom; 1901 census - Groom and Gardner; 1911 census - Farm Labourer; Died 12th Jan 1948 Dunston Fen, Lincolnshire.

Thank you once again for your help, it really is appreciated.

Would such a person be eligeable for a service medal?

Perhaps this is not my Grand Father after all? He would have been about 46 years old at the start of the war - was that too old to enlist?

Without overseas service, he wouldn't.

He wasn't too old and the age is spot on for the info David found. As he had a lot of experience with horses, this may account for why he stayed in the UK.

This should be his Silver War Badge card on Ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&db=MedalRolls&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=ms_r_db&gsfn=David&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=dougherty&gsln_x=XO&_F0003FD8=se12351&dbOnly=_F0003FD8%7C_F0003FD8_x&_F0003FD8_x=1&_F0003FD9=Army+veterinary+corps&dbOnly=_F0003FD9%7C_F0003FD9_x&_F0003FD9_x=1&uidh=000

Sam

Thank you so much to everyone for your assistance and advice on finding out some information on my Great Grandfather David DOUGHTY. As my father was only very young when David died he did not knoww much about his grandfather. I am researching my family tree and when i was sent the photograph by a previously unknown relative I wasnt sure if it was really who they thought it was.

What a great web site and woderfully helpful forum members.

Not sure i can help anyone as you have done for me, but i do have photograph and some informatiuon on my Grandfather Charles Alfred DOUGHTY that i will look to post in one of the other threads in the near future.

Thanks again.

Adrian

Thank you so much to everyone for your assistance and advice on finding out some information on my Great Grandfather David DOUGHTY. As my father was only very young when David died he did not knoww much about his grandfather. I am researching my family tree and when i was sent the photograph by a previously unknown relative I wasnt sure if it was really who they thought it was.

What a great web site and woderfully helpful forum members.

Not sure i can help anyone as you have done for me, but i do have photograph and some informatiuon on my Grandfather Charles Alfred DOUGHTY that i will look to post in one of the other threads in the near future.

Thanks again.

Adrian

Yes, definitely AVC. This is how his cap badge looked. I am glad that forum members were able to assist you in making a positive ID.

post-599-0-03124500-1338019307_thumb.jpg