Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sources in Przemysl and Galicia

Guest kevin.stapleton

Guest kevin.stapleton

I am looking for local sources of information about Przemysl Poland and the immediate area around it. I am doing research of the effects of the war on the civilian population (and the different ethnic groups in the town). Does any one have any information about specific places to look when I am there? My Polish is substandard, but I can get things translated. Thanks, Kevin

I cannot help with local sources but I just read something in an anthology in which you might be interested.

It is a series of extracts from the diaries of Helena Jablonska (a polish woman) and Josef Tomann (an Austrian Army Doctor) there are a few different references to ethnic groups etc

These are on pages 69-94 in Palmer and Wallis "Intimate Voices from the First World War" 2003 Simon and Schuster.

Chris

Kevin go online to the Polish, Ukrainian, German, Hungarian GOOGLE and other national search engines using at most 3 relevant keywords and you will find plenty of stuff including articles, historical articles, short histories, monographs, guide books (especially to the very extensive AH fortifications). Also these were of course produced in paper so some major online bibliographical tools such as WorldCat, Library of Congress, British Library for searching in English (which I presume is your first language n'est ces pas? :thumbsup: ) can also be quite productive especially for getting locally copies of such national/regional/local publications in print. Also check the websites of the Polish Army Musuem, Austrian Military Museum in Vienna amongst others.

Hope this helps,

John

• 3 weeks later...

There is a book "War in a European borderland" that discusses the occupation policies of the Russians< Germans, Austrians in Poland

• 3 years later...

Im belagerten Przemysl: Tagebuchblätter aus grosser Zeit

Belagerung und Gefangenschaft: vom Przemysl bis Russisch-Turkestan : das Kriegstagebuch des Dr. Richard Ritter von Stenitzer, 1914-1917

The Lost World of Przemysl: Interethnic Dynamics in a Galician Center, 1868 to 1921

Przemysl: Erinnerungen des Genieoffiziers Ing. Viktor Nerad

Frauen in Przemysl. Sittenbilder aus der belagerten Festung 1914/15