Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original Silk Ribbon for WW1 Victory medal

kingsman64

I apologise for hijacking another thread but I wanted this to be a seperate count for statistical analysis purposes!

We all bemoan the quality of modern weave nylon Victory Medal, British War Medal and 1914, 1914-15 star replacement ribbons. I am sure we all agree that the original silk is far superior in every way, and looks the business. Problem I am down to my last 18" of silk Victory/War medal ribbon :o This was aquired when a military tailor closed down in the early eighties.

I have just spoken to a Mr. Frost at Toye Kenning and Spencer and he assures me that the silk weave can be replicated but with a minimum run of between 15000/20000 metres. This due to the technical complexity of getting the multiple colours of the allied victory medal correct etc.

Silk 14-15 Star would be easier and require a smaller run as would B.W.M.

If you consider 15000 metres is enough to mount approximately 100,000 Victory Medals swing style or 50,000 court style, this has to be worth taking further?

Worth asking for a quote?

What do you think?

Best Regards

Paul Dwyer

Its always worth asking for a quote. For each ribbon too, minimum run of each.

As the hi-jacked one, I was thinking of obtaining the specification and going abroad for a price. SE Asia, where I have contacts. Could be as much as three quarters cheaper there. But don't tell Mr. Frost at Toye Kenning and Spencer.

Regards

Anthony

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have often heard people talking about this, but that is all it has been - talk!

There is most definitely a market for the original ribbon, particularly the Victory type. A small roll of Victory medal ribbon was sold on eBay only the other day for a ridiculous amount.

I would be interested to hear more if someone is actually going to do more than pay lip service to this idea for a change.

Ian

Major General Bowbrick

Challenge accepted Sir! :D

I will report my findings to the Forum ASAP.

Regards

Paul Dwyer

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Major General Bowbrick

Challenge accepted Sir! :D

I will report my findings to the Forum ASAP.

Regards

Paul Dwyer

Paul,

Please keep it Ian :ph34r:

Seriously if you are able to get something going, please keep me informed.

Ian

I'll second and third that - just amazed this opportunity hasn't been seized on before. There's a definite market for it!

Interesting to say the least!

The other day I bought replacement ribbons and now notice the colours are far brighter! :D

But, the original (?) 1914 Star ribbon for instance looks different, the pattern is slightly off, uh, not straight lined...and I wonder now what the original ribbons really looked like and how can one see/feel/analyse the real stuff?

Cheers,

Michael

I believe these are original ribbons. They feel smoother, more silky (obviously) and the colours blend in with each other better, they also have a sort of water mark.

regards

Anthony

post-23-1092302416.jpg

Thanks Anthony,

The ribbons sure look in mint condition compared to the ones of my grandfather!

Your photo actually answers my question in full: they look exactly the same as the old ones and quite different to the stuff I bought a while back.

Cheers,

michael

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I believe these are original ribbons. They feel smoother, more silky (obviously) and the colours blend in with each other better, they also have a sort of water mark.

regards

Anthony

Anthony,

Who was the recipient of this excellent 14 Star trio?

Ian :)

A potted history - I bought the medals on ebay for £120 - they had only been up for about 90 mins and I chose the 'buy now option' They were in a pretty sorry state, very grubby, rubbish ribbons - new and original. I had them mounted professionally, using replacement, but original ribbons, from other (lesser - if I may say that) medals in my collection, as I felt at 14 Star bar trio was worthy of good ribbons. The medals were also cleaned (I am one of those who supports cleaning).

The recipient was T-25262 Corporal John T Anderson, 1st Cavalry Division, A.S.C , who also served with the 7th West Yorkshire Regiment, and 20729, 4th Gordon Highlanders. Qualifying date 15th August 1914.

Anyway, that's what I was told.

This is how they were after I had unstapled them from a piece of cardboard. The cap badge came with it, but it is GVl and could be a re-strike - if that is the correct term.

regards

Anthony

post-23-1092663448.jpg

Well that is good to know. I shall keep them for a long time now - I am not a dealer just a collector, and not a very good one as I started out buying RA and RFA trios etc. But I do like the idea of the RFA, horses, limbers, 18pdrs - very dashing and wild. I am getting more picky now though - but that generally means more money.

regards to all

Anthony

Anthony

I know what you mean as my Great Grandfather got his medals with the RFA/RA. Heres basic details from the MIC.

Medal card of Anderson, John T

Corps Regiment No Rank

1st Cavalry Division Army Service Corps T/25262 Driver

Gordon Highlanders 20729 Driver

Cheers John

This is a dumb question I am sure.

On the subject of the Victory medal why does it say "The great war for civilisation 1914-1919" on the back. I thought the war ended in 1918?

Rgds,

Kevin.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Well that is good to know. I shall keep them for a long time now - I am not a dealer just a collector, and not a very good one as I started out buying RA and RFA trios etc. But I do like the idea of the RFA, horses, limbers, 18pdrs - very dashing and wild. I am getting more picky now though - but that generally means more money.

regards to all

Anthony

Nothing wrong in that at all!

There is a school of thought which says if they weren't in the trenches then the medals are not worth collecting - CRAP - IMHO. There is a story behind every set of medals and some of the Artillery men it has been my privelidge to research saw more than their fair share of action.

Plus when you buy a set of medals who knows what the individual did?

Being in the say the Notts & Derby or MGC does not guarantee that you got within sniffing distance of the line.

All medals to all veterans deserve our respect for what the recipient did. I will leave you with this thought - if it wasn't for the ASC, we could not have fought the War.

Ian :)

Well said - I couldn't agree more.

I was informed that Corps was not so good - but I too am of the opnion that whoever was awarded the medals was there and that is good enough for me.

By the by - this evening I bought an ASC trio

Regards

Anthony