Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM Medal card query.

Gunner Bailey

Can anyone sort out this medal card? There is no RGA unit. It looks like the War Medal was 'deleted' and the 15 Star possibly returned. I know that only the MM and VM exist. I also know that some soldiers had medals withheld if they had deserted at some stage. Could this be the case? The London gazette entry is on the 18th Oct 1918. The man was from New Cross but so far I've not found census entry.

Any help with this puzzle would be appreciated.

John

post-8629-0-33832300-1336663539.jpg

...It looks like the War Medal was 'deleted' and the 15 Star possibly returned. I know that only the MM and VM exist...

To my eye at least it looks more like the "deleted" relates to the struck out entry for the 1914-15 Star and not the BWM. It looks like one entry for the Star reference was in error, crossed out, and the correct entry written alongside and beneath. Also looks like the abbreviation for "adjustment" at the end - perhaps the Star had an error on it when issued, was returned for correction, and in doing so the reference was discovered to be in error and corrected as well, in which case the missing medals are probably more due to the passage of time?

• Admin

My two penn'orth.I don't think the BWM was deleted. As the medals were issued at different times the BWM and VM should be on the roll RGA/112B page 206 so would be easy to clarify.

The 14 - 15 Star was usually dealt with by way of a list submitted by the CO and it appears this entitlement was entered twice in the Rolls so the entry in the Roll 1 B 3 page 223 was deleted and as shown in the amendment and the following entry is listed in the Roll RGA/1A/2 page 102 I think the 'deleted' was added later indicating this had been done.

At some point the medal was returned (whether voluntarily or by request) and this was noted on the Certified Receipt Voucher 139 dated 19.10.20.

This amendment to the Rolls was made by the authority of 3017/adt (whether that is an instruction or the clerk in the Medals Office I don't know but have seen it before)

Ken

EDIT For completeness he was discharged to the 'B' Reserve on 7th August 1919

I agree with Ken. I'm not sure but I think CRV means that it was posted out after being corrected?

The medal rolls may tell more of the story, but they are not online.

regards

Robert

Thanks for your relies, Andrew, Ken and Robert.

I think the correction to the star is likely, as these were, as I understand it sent out at a different time to the pair. I'm still not sure about the 'deleted', but Andrew is probably right and its probably more starightforward than I think!

It's frustrating that the RGA battery is not listed. The timing may indicate 3rd Ypres but I don't know how we can check this??

John

John

What date is the London Gazette of his award?

A lot of BWM were pawned for their Silver content and were melted down.

Edit: Just seen it on original post Ill have a look at the Great war Medal Collectors companion see what it says about MMs in that gazette

Edit2 From the above publication :Major Ypres Gazette covers Ops in Aug 1917 at Bellewarde Ridge,Westhoek Ridge,Pilckem Ridge,Ronsoy Wood,dates covered 31/7/17 to 18/10/17

Ady

Thanks very much for the info in the last line Ady, it confirms my suspicions about the area of operations. Cheers - John