Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Veterinary Corps

Hotto80

I wonder if anyone can help me with some of my Uncles badges.

They have the Royal Army Veterinary Corps banner at the base of the badge, and have the laurel wreath with the Chiron Centaur ( Half man half horse ) in the centre,

but with the Centaur on one badge faces right and the other one left - They are Brass bronze in color, and have only ever seen the one facing right I wonder if these are from Lapels, epaulets, or do they signify rank type Etc....

I have been informed that these may be Officers Lapel badges but dont know for sure.

Hope you can Help

Thanks

Sounds like the collar badges. Same confusion happens today when "jimmy" from the Royal Signals is seen facing the wrong way.

Should look similair to the cap badge but slightly smaller.

Yes they are officers' service dress (OSD) bronze collar badges.

post-599-0-55361000-1336570849.jpg

Thanks for your help that's just what they are.. Do you have any idea as to the age, or have they always been in use .

James M

Thanks for your help that's just what they are.. Do you have any idea as to the age, or have they always been in use .

James M

The Corps earned its Royal prefix on 27th November 1918 as a result of service in WW1 and adopted the badge that you have at the same time. It was worn on officers' service dress thereafter, replacing the previous AVC with crown over.