Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th East Surrey Regiment

Guest mjc7uk

I would be grateful if anyone would shed light on the above regiment during the 1st world war and what are they doing on the 07/04/1917 as R. Peachey was killed on that night.

Regards,

mjc7uk

I can't help you directly, other than to suggest you click The Long Long Trail button top left and search, where you will find this a few clicks away.

12th (Service) Battalion (Bermonsey)

Formed at Bermondsey, 14 May 1915, by the Mayor and Borough. October 1915 : attached to 122nd Brigade, 41st Division.

Go there and see what it has to say on the 41st Div, which was 12 ESurreys parent unit.

My friend Janet's relation was in the same unit, and may perhaps have known R Peachey. He died at Passendaele

Private AUGUSTUS JOHN MAUD

25553, 12th Bn., East Surrey Regiment

who died age 26

on 27 September 1917

Son of John George Frances and Maud, of 26, Hathaway Rd., West Croydon.

Remembered with honour

TYNE COT MEMORIAL

There is a battalion history of this unit, but it is rare. One hopes it might be republished by Naval & Military Press.

They were in the Ypres Salient at this time, somewhere in the St Eloi sector I seem to remember.

Thanks for your input, another question may I ask?

Is it common for when anyone join the regiments like say the 12th East Surrey and then it merge into 41st Div. to maintain the numbers. And then whenever the solider are killed they would be remembered with the unit they first join?

Soldiers were moved around all the time, and for loads of reasons.

If youre relative had a 4 figure number, then it became a six figure number he would have probably been in the TF or Regular Army before the war, and had the new 6 figure number after March 1917.

My relative had 2 numbers (4400 originally, becoming 200570 from March 1917), and Ive seen some with more than 2 (discharge numbers were 7 figures I believe)!!

Thanks for your help in this matter! It's great to be able to learn some more!

Would it be possible to obtains some kind of map as I am keen to find out where the Reserve line Queen Victoria Street and Crater Lane is? As it was being breached at St. Eloi on 7th April 1917. That the German had blew a camouflet in Queen Victoria Street sap, in which R. Peachey was killed according to 'The History of the 12th (Bermondsey) Battalion East Surrey Regiment by John Aston and L. M. Duggan.' in which the IWM had kindly photocopied for me!

Any information on this matter would be very much appericates.

As I am not sure as where that is and am keen to see how far it is from Dickebusch New Military Cemetery in which I am planning to visit in the 2005.

I'll see e if I can find a map, but I can tell you right away that St Eloi and Dickebusch are very close and if you have time you can walk between the two.

Soldiers were moved around all the time, and for loads of reasons.

If youre relative had a 4 figure number, then it became a six figure number he would have probably been in the TF or Regular Army before the war, and had the new 6 figure number after March 1917.

My relative had 2 numbers (4400 originally, becoming 200570 from March 1917), and Ive seen some with more than 2 (discharge numbers were 7 figures I believe)!!

That's very interesting, when I check R.A Peachey service number it only 5 digits!

R. A. Peachey

Private

12th Bn., East Surrey Regiment

Died 7th April 1917.

• 2 years later...
Hello

Can I ask do you have any photos of the regiment.

Regards Mike

My Great Grandfather was a short time member of the 12th's. I don't know when he joined up, but he was definitely in the E Surrey's by Jul 1916. He arrived in France October 1916, but was transfered to the 24th RF in that Nvemeber. We do have the following Photo from his E Surrey time. Whether it is the 12th Batt or a training company - who knows. Or if it is in Blighty or France?

May be of interest to you.

Mark

post-14234-1159171024.jpg

And another of his platoon (?). My Great Grandfether is circled. If anyone knows any of the others Iwould love to know.

post-14234-1159171152.jpg

And another of his platoon (?). My Great Grandfether is circled. If anyone knows any of the others Iwould love to know.

post-14234-1159171152.jpg

AT last Im getting there many thanks Mark for photos.I hope he's in there

Regards Mike

• 11 months later...
My Great Grandfather was a short time member of the 12th's. I don't know when he joined up, but he was definitely in the E Surrey's by Jul 1916. He arrived in France October 1916, but was transfered to the 24th RF in that Nvemeber. We do have the following Photo from his E Surrey time. Whether it is the 12th Batt or a training company - who knows. Or if it is in Blighty or France?

Mark

hi it is possible that the soldier fourth from right top row could well be my great grandfather, 12381 john james willmott. he was an old soak from the 2nd east surreys south africa/india prior to the great war.do you have any more photos of the 12th. regards alan.

Mark

Mark this could be my greatgrandfather in your photos.

What do you think? intresting. regards Alan.

post-25500-1190671059.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daz1971uk

Hi there,

I recently discovered my great grandfather was in the 12th Btn East Surrey Regiment, he is listed as having died on 27/9/1917.

His name was Private George Robert Sharp (possibly only listed as George Sharp) and his number was 12490.

I know it sounds a very long shot but I am hoping someone may have come across his name while investigating.

Best Regards,

Darren

I have just purchased a small book called "a month at the front" diary of an unknown soldier in the 12th battalion east surreys, a new book just printed £7.99 from e-bay

regards John

• 1 year later...

May I add to this thread please.

I am very keen to start some research on my gt.grandfather Thomas Edward Sheldrick.

Seeing tonights WDYTYA has motivated me to try again. I have no experience at all in military research having been tracing my family history for around 9 years.

His CWGC details :

SHELDRICK

Initials: T E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1918

Service No: 22695

Additional information: Son of Mrs. T. Sheldrick, of 21, Sainsbury Rd., Upper Norwood; husband of Ellen Sheldrick, of 36, Queen's Rd., Upper Norwood, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XIII. G. 3.

Cemetery: VLAMERTINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Any help you can give me to get started would be gratefully received.

My son in year 9 at school was there a fortnight ago with his school and found the grave and put a poppy there for me.

GenieDi,

Welcome to the forum

May I suggest that you post your request in "Soldiers" with the name of your Gt.Grandfather in the title.

There you will find many friendly and helpful people who will be only to willing to help you with your research.

Good Luck

regards Stuart.

GenieDi,

Welcome to the forum

May I suggest that you post your request in "Soldiers" with the name of your Gt.Grandfather in the title.

There you will find many friendly and helpful people who will be only to willing to help you with your research.

Good Luck

regards Stuart.

Thanks so much Stuart.

• 4 years later...

Hi all

I to had my Great grandfather in the 12th east surrey's

Pvt Albert Edward Macdonald KiA 31 July 1917, apart from this, I know nothing about him, is there a mermorial in Bermondsey with there names on?

The battalion war diary should be available on line through the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment website. The battalion history is by Aston and Duggan and was reprinted in recent years by Naval & Military.

My great uncle, Reg Howship served with the battalion from August 1918 and won the M.C. with it in the closing days of the War. Sadly I have no photos of him or the battalion.

Michael