Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres gym imfo

BlackSeptember1918

Hi

Probably not on everyones list of places to visit when in Ypres , but I'm going to be there for three days next year , and will be staying at the Ariane . What I would like to know , is there a gym near the Ariane that you can just be a walk in guest ( paying by day for the use of ) . I won't be needing anything too flash , just the normal free weights and weight machines and stuff.

I think that there is a gym a few hundred metres from Le Coq Hardi in Verdun ( two nights there ) that is available to hotel guests , but i'm not 100% sure ?. Any advise on that would be appreciated also thanks .

Oh, and before I appear to be a weirdo ...it's gym in the morning and beer at night ..they sort of balance each other out .

Phil.

The Ariane's got leisure facilities. Probably they aren't as gym-based as you need. I'm sure they can point you in the direction of some super healthy fitness equipment if you email them and ask (they speak excellent English).

Good choice of hotel btw!

You're not weird. It was important to me to swim at the Bodensee last month (and not in the Bodensee). It's kind of compulsive...

Gwyn

Phil... Few years ago when I went to the Front I ran most mornings. It was pretty interesting because in Ypres, Albert, and the Somme after being there for a few days (2-3) I had people recognize me as I made it around the town. I almost felt like a regular.

Sorry I can't help you find a gym, but I can appreciate your attempt to stay healthy and fit. Andy

Thanks for the reply's Gwyn and Andy

Gwyn

Your idea sounds like the most logical . I can often be guilty of overplanning things ( wanting to know everything before I go somewhere ) . I will take your advise and email the hotel again with the querie ..thankyou .

Andy , I wish I could enjoy running like you . I'm one of those people that finds it a tiresome experience ...I think you have to have it in you to like to run ..It's too bad I couldn't row around Ypres on a rowing machine !!!....heh ..heh ..there's always hiring a bike I guess , but with only 3 days I think sticking with the car would help me to see more stuff ...Thanks also for the vote of confidence with the working out . I always believe it seems like a terrible idea at 6 a.m...but by 7.30 a.m you feel a million dollars .

Cheers .

Phil.

Phil - there is a gym in the Novotel at Ypres, which is just off the main square. Although you are not staying there, they might let you use it for a small fee. I stay there often, and the staff are very helpful, so am sure they could help you out.

Paul and Pascal

Thanks guy's , that is great info . Much appreciated !!!.

Phil.