Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A cap badge for you C.E.F. guys

N.S.Regt.

I like to share one of my N.S. cap badge collection one of which you may not have seen before. In all of my years collecting I have only seen this one and a collar which I passed on because I stupidly thought it was a sweetheart at the time. I can not find any reference to it and it is constructed on a OR's badge with a applied white metal overlay. Has anyone else seen this badge?

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1092192287.jpg

Below is a picture of Lt-Col. Innes C.O. of the 106th Battalion you can see in the picture he is wearing a two peice badge.

post-23-1092192429.jpg

I have never seen one, and I bet you are really happy to own it.

Rosen and Martin in their 1985 book Canadian Expeditionary Force Military Cap Badges of World War I illustrate this pattern as an OR's. pickled finish, with no overlay. Must be a rare officers pattern. (E-106, pg 30)

You must have a really scarce one there.

DrB

:)

DrB

I was happy to get the badge I have only seen pictures of the officers wearing them. Since there was only 36 officers that sailed to england with them and the battalion was broken up for reinforcements their can not be many out there. I have checked rosens guide, Babins, the two books on badges of the infantry by Charlton and stewarts book on the CEF none mention this badge. I guess one will never know the numbers of badges produced for the Canadian Corps but the production of the 106th Officers Badge must be very small.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Fantastic badge NS Regt. The officer's cap badges in WW1 were usually private purchase and not an issue item. The officer's would be offered special badges by the manufacturer, usually in precious metals or precious metal finishes. One easy way of upgrading the badge was to add an overlay. (The manufacturer had the dies and could easily make an overlay stamping.) Alternately jewellers could make officers badges. They would sometimes use the issue badge and modify it.

An interesting set of jeweller's badges is offered on ebay at the moment. 158th Battalion Duke of Connaughts. (I have no connection to the seller.)

J. Harper in A Source of Pride gives the authorization of the 106th Battalion badges as April 8, 1916. 683-256-1 Vol 1548. Sometimes the authorization was obtained long after the badge was in service.

Bill

Thanks the 106th was authorized as a battalion on Nov. 8 1915 so it was only 5 months before the the authorization of the badge. the reference you quoted I am not familiar with that one is it on badges and is it still in print. I have another badge you may find interesting I will post a picture when I dig it out.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.