Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental records

royb

I am researching my late grandfather, Charles Daniels, who was a private in the 1st Battalion, 19th London (St Pancras) regiment, 47th Division. He was a qualified Hotchkiss gunner, I have a photo of him before he left for France in 1915 showing the sleeve badge. Is there any way I can find out to which company he belonged?

Was he this man? From my database of 19th Londons:

Private Charles John DANIELS No. 616154 (I haven't tracked down a 4 digit No for him yet.)

Enlisted: 10/06/1914

Discharged: 08/01/1919

Reason for discharge: Wounds

Age at discharge: 22

Address: 70, Leighton Rd, St Pancras (Bartholomew ward)

Awarded Silver War Badge no: B159666

Sources: BW&VM Rolls p. 619, Silver War Badge Roll p. 4020, Absent Voter List for St Pancras North no. 7427 (N.b. WM & SWB Rolls do not have middle name; SWB gives rank as Rifleman.)

I'm not 100% certain that this man was your grandfather as he was awarded the Territorial Force War Medal, which means that he did no go overseas until 1916. However, this man was 1/19th, so perhaps your grandfather did not go overseas with the battalion in 1915. His BW&VM Roll entry shows that he was 1/19th and served with them on the Western Front from 8/11/17 to 10/12/17. (I would guess that he was lightly gassed at Bourlon Wood.) On recovery he served with the 1/19th in France from 22/8/18 to 5/9/19.

Any chance you could please confirm names, numbers etc?

I woudl be fascinated to see the photo and see if I can tell you anything from that. I'm working on a history of the 1/19th.

Charles

Charles, thank you for your very informative and helpful reply. Yes it is my late grandfather, the embarkation date was my fault as I had assumed that he went over in 1915 as I know he had joined in 1914, but I 'm pretty sure he was born in 1898 so perhaps he was held back until he was over 18. He is the man in the middle and the enlargement is of his sleeve badge which is how I know he was a Hotchkiss gunner. He didn't talk about the war in any great detail and I didn't press him too much - a personal regret. I have his medals, still in the buff envelopes they were issued in and his silver war badge of which he was immensely proud and wore on his jacket until he died some 20 years ago. Yes he was gassed at Bourlon Wood which I visited a few years ago and it is very atmospheric to this day. He was wounded, I believe after the Hindenburg Line was broken, taking a bullet through his leg which destroyed the tendons as a result of which he wore a surgical boot and leg iron throughout his life - but no complaint. I think the man standing on his left is Les Holyoake who survived into old age with my grandad. I hope this is useful and of interest. Unfortunately when I searched at the Records Office the only information I found was his medal record, it seems that his other details were part of the burnt records. I would be very grateful for any other information or leads you may have and of course if I can be of any further assistance please let me know.post-89943-0-38163800-1336595939.jpg

Great, glad I identified him. I can send you electronic copies of the medal rolls and war diaries if you are interested. I'll struggle to identify which company he was in though.

That's a great photo. I'm writing a book on the 1/19th and would be really interested in using the photo. I'm trying to include pictures of as many named individuals as I can.

The 19th London Old Comrades are still going strong and these days mainly consists of descendents of those who served in the Great War. If you can let me know your email address we can let you know of any events coming up.

Charles

Thanks again and I am more than happy for the photo to be used. I am somewhat reluctant to give our email address over the web but our phone number is 01245 329162 and am happy to give it to you direct.

RoyB

Great, glad I identified him. I can send you electronic copies of the medal rolls and war diaries if you are interested. I'll struggle to identify which company he was in though.

That's a great photo. I'm writing a book on the 1/19th and would be really interested in using the photo. I'm trying to include pictures of as many named individuals as I can.

The 19th London Old Comrades are still going strong and these days mainly consists of descendents of those who served in the Great War. If you can let me know your email address we can let you know of any events coming up.

Charles

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in getting back to you as I haven't heard any further and wonder if you received my earlier reply. On reflection there's no need to withhold my email address which is royandmary@homecall.co.uk and please do send me any further information you hold. I think the War Diary covering his period of service would be interesting and is there any possibility of casualty returns which might indicate when he was wounded? I'm glad you find the photo of interest and have no objection whatsoever to its inclusion - quite the opposite in fact. You can put me on the waiting list for a copy in due course.

Roy Brindley