Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Short Bayonet(latest purchase)

spconnolly007

Purchased this short German Bayonet, which I believe to be for the Mauser rifle. Stamped W 17, which I presume is 1917. What does the W stand for? What looks like a crown above the W, and another marking below the 17 which I cant identify, any ideas? On the side is Rich.A.Herder, over Solingen. Is that maker and factory? Is it possible to purchase repro frogs for these? Thanks for any help Sean

post-79848-0-89447600-1336237919.jpg

post-79848-0-56817400-1336238490.jpg

post-79848-0-92682400-1336238536.jpg

W: Wilhelm II, King of Prussia, emperor of Germany

Cnock

W: Wilhelm II, King of Prussia, emperor of Germany

Cnock

Thanks Cnock, seems obvious now!

It is the German S84/98 model for the Gew98, in this case made by Richard Abr. Herder of Solingen, with Prussian acceptance in 1917, over the fraktur inspection mark.

Cheers, S>S

It is the German S84/98 model for the Gew98, in this case made by Richard Abr. Herder of Solingen, with Prussian acceptance in 1917, over the fraktur inspection mark.

Cheers, S>S

Cheers s/s, I knew either you or Trajan would be along to fill in the gaps, regards Sean

It look's a nice bayonet! Only things to add to what has been said above are that (1), if you check the pommel head, above the press stud, you should seen another stamped mark, a crowned head over a fraktur mark, and that (2), according to Carter vol. 1, although Richard Abr[aham] Herder made 98/05's in 1916 and 1917, during 1917 and after they apparently "concentrated their production on the S 84/98". Also, FWIW, in my limited experience these 84/98's are much less easy to find than the 98/05's

As for reproduction frogs, try soldier of fortune, on-line re-enactors catalogue. They sell reproduction WWII K98 frogs, with the press-stud fastener, but WWI frogs did not have this so you would have to remove it. I haven't bought one of these frogs from them (yet!), but I did get one of their reproduction 98/05 frogs and I am happy with that.

Trajan

Thanks Trajan, I will have a look at their site and let you know. It is a very nice example, and I feel well worth the £40 I paid for it :thumbsup: also managed to pick up a Burma star medal set for my wifes uncle who died during the 44 campaign. All in all, a good day yesterday!! Cheers Sean