Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private FW Ratcliffe - Military Medal

Flamstead

My records show that Private FW Ratcliffe, from Trowley Bottom, Hertfordshire, served with the Duke Of Cornwalls Light Infantry between 1914 and 1919.

He was awarded the Military Medal, I think towards the end of the war. But, I have been unable to locate mention of the award in the London Gazette using the standard search engine. Maybe there is a spelling error between my record of his surname and that in the Gazette but I'm now stumped trying to find out when it was awarded.

Does anyone know of any other lists, or Search Engines, I could look at that could help me find the date of this record.

I also have a similar problem with Private William Wheeler of the Bedfordshire Regiment, Service Number 17447.

I believe he was awarded the Military Medal while "serving at Cambrai" but can find no record of it in the London Gazette search.

Wheeler's MM was listed in LG#31173, 11th February 1919, Page 2105. Link to it is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31173/supplements/2105

Assuming that F. W. Ratcliffe is #12138 DCLI (later #222953 Labour Corps) F. William Ratcliffe then I can see no card on NA to suggest he was awarded a MM which may be why he can't be found in the Gazette.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for that - your help is much appreciated.

Regarding Private Ratcliffe I have taken the MM reference from "Section V - Luton" of "The National Roll Of The Great War 1914 - 18", as follows ....

RATCLIFFE F W (MM) Private Duke Of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Volunteering in August 1914 in the same year he was sent to the Western Front. He fought in several important engagements including the Battles of the Somme, Ypres, and Cambrai and was wounded. Rejoining his unit on recovery he took part in the closing operations of the war and was awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty in the Field. He was demobilised January 1919.

Military Medal, 1914 – 15 Star, General Service Medal, Victory Medal

Trowley Bottom, Flamstead

Of course, I am already aware of a number of inconsistencies with details in this particular publication - maybe this is another one.

Simon

DCLI number is 12138. He has Medal Index Cards under F William Ratcliffe and William Ratcliffe. His Service papers are on Ancestry under Frank William Ratcliffe (incorrectly indexed as Labour Corps 12185) .

He enlisted 31 August 1914. Appears to have trained with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion and been posted to the 7th (Service) Battalion going overseas with them on 23 July 1915.

He may have been wounded in 1917. He was posted to the Labour Corps, but the papers are incomplete with no mention of a wound.

221 Divisional Employment Company, Labour Corps with the number 222953 in July 1917. Class Z Reserve 13 February 1919.

No mention of an MM I'm afraid. Awarded 1914/15 Star, BWM and VM.

Had a wife and 5 kids.

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for that information - it's a big help.

Simon

NO MM ON MY ROLL.YOU SENT YOUR OWN DETAILS INTO THE NAT ROLL AND PAID FOR YOUR ENTRY.HE WHO PAYS THE PIPER ETC A NOT UNUSUAL CASE OF SELF AWARD I SUSPECT.HOWARD COMPILER MM ROLL

Hi Howard,

That's fascinating - and a story within itself. I wonder how many free drinks he got in the local bars for his MM !

Maybe he had been recommended for an MM, or other award, and it was declined and he thought that wasn't particularly fair so he told everyone he had received it.

A great piece of social history there I think.

Many thanks for taking the time to search your records and for letting me know your findings.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I have an example where the action involved was actually published in local newspapers. It is the case of Pte 33608 John Barnwell of the Bedfordshire Regiment. The entry in the Bucks Standard reads as below and he is mentioned in Beds newspapers as well. Barnwell's service record makes no mention of it and I've never been able to find any confirmation. He was with the 1st Beds and, given that he was invalided home by mid-1917, it is likely that it was an award for Arras, if correct.

B.S. 1917 July 7th

At the age of 19, Private J. Barnwell, of the Beds. Regiment, has been awarded the Military Medal. This was for service in France, having under a barrage of fire crept back with messages which he delivered safely. In fact according to the official record this resulted in half the division being saved from annihilation. From employment at the Newport Pagnell Brewery Company, he enlisted at the end of 1915, and having gone to France on Christmas Day, 1916, was gassed after six months on active service. He is the third son of Mr. and Mrs. Barnwell, of High Street, Newport Pagnell.

Thanks bedfordyeoman - very interesting.

Simon