Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happened to the 9th btn RB

gwendraith

Quite a few CWGC errors James, 3 men killed with the 8th RB at Hooge on 30/7/15 appear on the Arras Memorial as 30/7/16  where they should be on the Menin Gate.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 10 months later...

I have found this old thread fascinating.

I am researching the life of Rifleman Ernest Blackburn, 9th KRRC, who went missing, later presumed killed, on 15.9.1916.

If anyone has access to the Brigade or Divisional diaries I would be most grateful to see a copy.

Kind regards

John Broom

John, there are quite a few threads regarding the 15//9/16. If you have a subscription to Ancestry the Battalion, Brigade and Divisional war diaries are available online. If not send me a message and I will send the relevant parts of the diaries over to you.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi, I don't know if anyone will see this as I've just discovered the forum and thread after doing some family history research. Like the original poster, my Great Great Uncle Rifleman James Martin B/947 9th Battn Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own) died on September 15, 1916 east of Flers, was buried, and then exhumed and reburied at Lesboeufs Cemetery. 

It amazes and saddens me to read of so many young men having lost their lives in such a short space of time in the same place. May they all rest in peace.

Edited by Tim Unwin

Welcome Tim,

Another 9th RB man who's record survives, Barkingside boy.

Andy

2 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Welcome Tim,

Another 9th RB man who's record survives, Barkingside boy.

Andy

Remembered on the War Memorial at Holy Trinity, Barkingside,

Remembered on the War Memorial at Holy Trinity, Barkingside,

Thank you GUEST and Stiletto. Lots of family history to get through, especially the tale of another GG Uncle, Percy Brand, who died on the same day and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

I can see I've got a lot of reading and research ahead. :thumbsup:

Hi Tim and welcome to the Forum.

It’s not clear from the Concentration report on his CWGC webpage whether he was originally buried on the battlefield or recovered from the battlefield in August 1919. While he and the other four men British soldiers recovered from the same map reference, (Sheet 57c.T.2.d.l.2), are said to have grave markers, he is the only one who was identified. A quick check of the International Committee of the Red Cross website doesn’t show a missing persons enquiry being received, and I see from his surviving Service Record that he is recorded as Killed in Action, although it’s only in his service history and the date of the entry is, (as opposed to the date of the event), hard to make out – his casualty form which might have given a bit more detail appears to be missing.

If you haven’t already got it, War Diaries can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive – you just need to register for an account which you can do as part of the ordering process.

Believe this is the piece you need.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017555

It’s unlikely to mention him by name but you may well be able to find map references for where they were in action. Whizzy people on the forum can use those map references  and the one for where his body was originally recovered to map it both then and now. Guards Cemetery, Lesbouefs is shown on the Concentration report as being at map reference Sheet 57c.T.3.d.2.2

A look at the CWGC database shows 129 men of the 9th Battalion recorded as having died on the 15th September 1916. Most are remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, but a quick look through the first forty matches identified that where the individual soldier has a known grave, each one has an associated Concentration Report, all were recovered from the battlefield, a couple were originally noted as unknown British soldiers, while several just had a service number recorded but not a name.

Hope that helps,

Peter

36 minutes ago, PRC said:

57c.T.2.d.l.2

Here is a view towards the place where the body was exhumed from, showing the woods in the distance.  The Google StreetView image is from the nearest main road.  The trench map, courtesy National Library of Scotland, shows the recovery location in the centre and the modern cemetery towards the right.

image.png.956caf2f2940515978c528aa5883f0af.png

Martin, J., B-947, 15-9-16, 9th RB.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

Tim,

There are a total of 17 soldiers from the 9th RB, 6 from the 8th RB and 3 from the 7th RB (14th Division) in this cemetery all who died on the 15/9/16, with others from different battalions at different dates. This cemetery was not in the 14th Division area but in the Guards Division area for 15/9/16. Some of the burials come from different smaller cemeteries and concentrated here.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853