Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Boston Molasses Disaster

Joe Sweeney

Thought some may find this of interest. Molasses was used to in the making of munitions.

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days, the area still smells of molasses.

Near Keany Square,[4] at 529 Commercial Street, a huge molasses tank 50 ft (15 m) tall, 90 ft (27 m) in diameter and containing as much as 2,300,000 US gal (8,700 m3) collapsed. Witnesses stated that as it collapsed, there was a loud rumbling sound, like a machine gun as the rivets shot out of the tank, and that the ground shook as if a train were passing by.

The collapse unleashed an immense wave of molasses between 8 and 15 ft (2.5 and 4.5 m) high, moving at 35 mph (56 km/h). The molasses wave was of sufficient force to damage the girders of the adjacent Boston Elevated Railway's Atlantic Avenue structure and tip a railroad car momentarily off the tracks. Nearby, buildings were swept off their foundations and crushed. Several blocks were flooded to a depth of 2 to 3 feet (60 to 90 cm). As described by author Stephen Puleo:

"Molasses, waist deep, covered the street and swirled and bubbled about the wreckage. Here and there struggled a form — whether it was animal or human being was impossible to tell. Only an upheaval, a thrashing about in the sticky mass, showed where any life was... Horses died like so many flies on sticky fly-paper. The more they struggled, the deeper in the mess they were ensnared. Human beings — men and women — suffered likewise."

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

Here are some photographs of the Boston Molasses Disaster of 1919.

LF

post-63666-0-05970000-1336066427.jpg

post-63666-0-99681200-1336066474.jpg

post-63666-0-21786200-1336066489.jpg

post-63666-0-10595700-1336066566.jpg

post-63666-0-18340200-1336066653.jpg

What a fascinating story, I have to admit that I had never heard of it, imagine the cleanup? at least in January the weather should have been cold enough to solidify the mess. I don't doubt that on hot day's it can still be smelt.

khaki

That was one of the stories on the T.V.progam ."True or False" - I thought it was false until they revealed that it was indeed a true story!!

!

H.C.

Thought some may find this of interest. Molasses was used to in the making of munitions.

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days, the area still smells of molasses.

Near Keany Square,[4] at 529 Commercial Street, a huge molasses tank 50 ft (15 m) tall, 90 ft (27 m) in diameter and containing as much as 2,300,000 US gal (8,700 m3) collapsed. Witnesses stated that as it collapsed, there was a loud rumbling sound, like a machine gun as the rivets shot out of the tank, and that the ground shook as if a train were passing by.

The collapse unleashed an immense wave of molasses between 8 and 15 ft (2.5 and 4.5 m) high, moving at 35 mph (56 km/h). The molasses wave was of sufficient force to damage the girders of the adjacent Boston Elevated Railway's Atlantic Avenue structure and tip a railroad car momentarily off the tracks. Nearby, buildings were swept off their foundations and crushed. Several blocks were flooded to a depth of 2 to 3 feet (60 to 90 cm). As described by author Stephen Puleo:

"Molasses, waist deep, covered the street and swirled and bubbled about the wreckage. Here and there struggled a form — whether it was animal or human being was impossible to tell. Only an upheaval, a thrashing about in the sticky mass, showed where any life was... Horses died like so many flies on sticky fly-paper. The more they struggled, the deeper in the mess they were ensnared. Human beings — men and women — suffered likewise."

Joe Sweeney

There's a phrase here that if someone's a bit of a slowpoke, one could say that someone's 'as slow as molasses in January'...I gather this story proves the line pretty ridiculous.

I have to admit I never heard of it either! I have to ask the question about how molasses was used in munitions manufacture?

-Daniel

Daniel, we have the same saying here in the "great white north". Not one that is used too often anymore, but I hear my dear ol' dad still use it from time to time, usually when he is refering to a government body.

I have never heard this story either now I have YET ANOTHER thing to research. LOL