Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification help, please

PPCLI

Hello all,

I hope someone may be able to offer advice on the following crop shots:

post-6340-0-75512900-1336042958.jpg

I assume a lowland Scots unit because he isn't kilted, but I can't be sure about the cap badge. I could make a guess but would also like to hear the opinions of others who are used to studying WW1 uniforms/insignia. He is sporting a snake buckle leather belt identical to that shown in this older GWF thread.

Thank you,

Stuart

Stuart

I think this man could be Liverpool Scottish, a territorial battalion of the Kings Liverpool Regiment. I also wondered if he could be Tyneside Scottish as the title looks a bit like N/grenade/F, but the badge doesn't seem the right shape.

Rgds,

W.

Add: Or he might be Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but wearing trousers for whatever reason.

Add: Or he might be Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but wearing trousers for whatever reason.

Based on size and shape of the badge I would guess the latter, Argylls.

Would it be possible to see the entire picture.

Chris

I'm not even going to have the most speculative of tilts at this but it might be as well to look at possibilities for what looks like a cloth shoulder title first and then backtrack to cap badge options - looks like a very unhelpful flash reflection has given a Saltire impression across the middle...

... then again there's always the Canadians.

Suddery

Thank you for taking the time to look at this one for me. Unfortunately, there isn't very much more information that I can add - I know the parish he is from but don't have a surname to check against. His photo is part of a set from an old church RoH, but this set includes those who returned as well as those who died in service, so a fairly big field of suspects. Regards seeing see the entire picture, the photo isn't mine so I would rather not put up a large image, so below is a smaller sized version which, I hope, will give you the general impression:

post-6340-0-19827700-1336080583.jpg

Thanks again,

Stuart