Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calcutta Light Horse

Guest count_d

Guest count_d

Hello

This post is actually about the Calcutta Light Horse in 1922, but I wonder if anyone can help me. The CLH was an auxiliary cavalry regiment in the Indian Army.

My grandfather (DAVID INGLIS DUFF) was in the CLH in that year. I am trying to track down the lists, so that I cam identify if three of his friends were also involved. They are named in a photograph I have as RYRIE, SINCLAIR and EWAN and all accompanied him on a trek in the Himalayas. (This is my real interest, but I think the CLH is the route to identifying these other men).

RYRIE I have identified as Frank Ryrie, who was a missionary, through the British Library. His obituary appeared in the Times in 1963.

The fact that RYRIE was a surname leads me to believe that EWAN and SINCLAIR would also be surnames. I suspect they were Scots (like my grandfather and Frank Ryrie).

I know that my grandfather was a Trooper, and I suspect that 1, 2, or all 3 of the others on the trek were friends through the CLH, possibly also troopers.

Does anyone know if there are records for the CLH anywhere? I have looked in the Indian Army lists (but that's officers only), and am currently researching in some private papers.

Any assistance GREATLY appreciated...

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

Just found your post. This may be helpful, I recently traced the movements of my ancestors serving with 7th Hussars through the Families in British India Society.

http://www.new.fibis.org

Good luck

Mal