Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain John Kenneth Stead.

Bob Coulson

Captain Stead was att'd to the RFC from the Yorkshire Regiment.

I have the De Ruvigny write up on the actions that led to his death, just wondered if any of the aviation experts could add any more info?

Grateful as always for any help.

Bob.

I take it the De Ruvigny report has a picture?

23.6.17 War Illustrated has one of Lt JK Stead , Yorkshire Regt. (Roll of Honour)

Stuart

Bob

Capt J K Stead of No 20 Sqn RFC (formerly 4th Bn, Yorkshire Regiment) died of wounds on 4 February 1917. He was flying in FE2d A30 with 2Lt W T Jourdan as his observer on 1 February when the aircraft was damaged by enemy [ground?] fire and both airmen were wounded. 2Lt Jourdan survived.

Capt Stead, with his observer 2Lt W T Gilson, was credited with bringing down an enemy aeroplane, which crashed at Westroosbeke, on 26 January 1917.

A photograph of an FE2d from the same production batch as A30, in this case A2, is below.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

post-25-1092171888.jpg

Bob

Some additional information?-

Lt John Kenneth Stead younger son of Dr. J.E.Stead,F.R.S was killed on February 4th 1917 aged 25. He was educated at Mill Hill and Durham University,where he studied at Armstrong College with a view to becoming a mining engineer and was in the O.T.C.. He received a commision in the Yorkshire Rgt in Sept 1914,went to the front in April 1915 and was wounded on the 29th of that month. in March 1916 he was attached to the R.F.C. and returned to the front in the following July.

Taken from R.F.C Casualties and Honours During the War of 1914-17 published Aug 1917.

Regards Doug