Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier F.M.McCallum CIE OBE MC

Guest Guard 1

I'm having a hard time trying to find out information on the above officer. I have found out what he recevied his MC for from the London Gazette (awarded in 1923). I also know his first name is Frank and he arrived in Armitsar in april 1919. The other medals awarded to him are 2 Indian general service medals a 39-45 star a defence and a war medal with MID. When he got his MC he was in the 9th Gurkha rifles as a lieutentant. I belive that by 1929 he was a captain in the Indian army and still a captain in 1937 but this is unconfirmed. I have not been able to find out any more than this.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Many thanks

Rowland.

In April 1919 the massacre at Armitsar took place when General Dyer and a hadful of troops put down a rebellion. At the time he was heralded with saving the empire. With hindsight he was at best over enthusiastic and nearer a murder. He was quoted at a trial as saying he would have used his machine guns but he could not get his armoured cars into the square!!!!!

His troops were Ghurkhas, not sure which battalion/regt. Wonder if he was involved or wether he turned up after? if he was there are a few books and some articles on the web about Dyer and the massacre. It was also covered i beleive by Attenborough in his film Ghandi.

regards

Arm.

Ps will look at my notes on this and see what regt was there and get back to ya.

• 1 year later...

Rowland,

Thats sounds a very nice group - could you PM the exact details of the group please

As to your man:

Brigadier Frank McCallum

Looks like he was commioned into the Unattached List Indian Army in Jan 1919

He was awarded the Military Cross (LG 12/6/1923) for distinguished service withe the Waziristan Force serving with 1/9 G.R. with a very nice citation.

Promoted Captain 20th December 1924

Promoted Major 20th December 1936

Appointed a Staff Captain on the staff 6th Febuary 1937 until 15th December 1937

Awarded a military OBE for valuable services rendered in the field in connection with the operations in Waziristan 16th Sept to 15th Dec 1937 as Commander, Bannu Area

Mentioned in Despatches (LG 5/8/43) for Persia-Iraq, listed under Gurkha regiment as a T/Lt-Col

Mentioned in Despatches (LG 17/2/44) for Persia-Iraq, listed under Gurkha regiment as a T/Lt-Col

Promoted substantive Lt-Col 20th December 1946

Promoted Col 26th June 1947

Retired as a Colonel 30th May 1948, promoted Hon. Brigadier 26th June 1948

Brigadier General Staff at Northern command, India 1946-47

Director of Staff Duties at Army Headquarters, Pakistan 1947

Appointed Deputy Lieutenant for Lincolnshire 1965

Died at Westbrough Grange, Nottinghamshire 14th July 1983

Have not found the CIE but I think its right.

Hows that?

Matthew B.

Some papers for BrigadierMcAllum can be found at the Centre for South Asian Studies at Cambridge University. An entry in your search engine will throw it up.

Terry Reeves