Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Recognition

Guest Bob Juno

Guest Bob Juno

Hello all.

Does anyone recognise these 2 decorated officers pictured at a wedding between two military families. I know it's well before 1914, but I thought someone might know something. Any help would be much appreciated.

post-23-1092153729.jpg

You might have supplied more clues: Where does the picture come from? What do you know about the other sitters?

Some, if not all, of the officers in the photograph appear to belong to the Indian Army.

The first gentleman is identifiable. He wearing the KCIE (Knight Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire), and the CB (Companion of the Order of the Bath). He also seems to have the Indian General Service Medal (1854-95), with one bar, the Afghan War Medal (1878-80) with four bars, and the Kabul to Kandahar Star.

He is a general officer, I think.

The second gentleman is wearing the KCB (Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath). I can't identify the rest of his group. He also seems to be a general officer.

I would date the photo to the period between 1902 - 1914. The bridegroom might be wearing the Queen's South Africa Medal. None of them have first world war awards (or even uniforms) on.

Archer

Guest Bob Juno

Thanks for your thoughts Archer, much appreciated.

I don't really have any other clues, I purchased the photo some time ago with some unrelated items. They're possibly in India, as you can see what could be Indian staff in the background.

Very tentatively, I have identified the first officer as Major-General (later Lieutenant-General) Sir Gerald de Courcy Morton, KCIE CB (and later CVO) (1845-1906).

Morton served in Hazara, 1868 and the Afghan War, 1878-80. He was Adjutant-General in India, 1895-1898 and then General Officer Commanding, Lahore District.

His first wife was Susan Katherine Morton (maiden name unknown). His second wife - married in 1886 - was Ada, daughter of Major-General G. A. Craster.

If I am right the photograph is probably older than I thought - having been taken between 1899-1905.

You will need to check his medal entitlement in the Army List. But it seems to me he is the father or senior relative of the bridegroom and that should lead you to the identity of the other General who seems to belong to the bride's party. (Or is it the other way round?)

Good luck ;)

Archer