Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rosette for 1914 Star

SPotter

Dear All,

The following is 'cut and pasted' from the "Tracing Grandad through his medals" page of the Mother Site, in particular the section explaining the 1914 star.

"The ribbon is red merging into white and then into blue. A bar inscribed "5 Aug. to 22 Nov. 1914" was given to all those who served under fire. Since the same ribbon is used with the 1914-15 Star, holders of the earlier award were permitted to wear a small silver rosette on their ribbon when the decoration itself is not worn."

My interpretation of this description would be that the rosette was issued to differentiate between the holder of a 1914 star and the holder of a 1914-15 star, whereas the rosette served to signify that the wearer was entitled to the 5 Aug-22 Nov 1914 bar when wearing ribbons only.

Am I the only one gaining this impression or does the description need tweaking?

Also I think it would be safer to say of the bar "A bar bearing the dates..." as these are actually in relief and not inscribed. Picky perhaps, but could cause doubt to the novice.

Sorry Chris, apart from this, the site and Forum is A!+++++++++++++ (in eBay speak!)

Regards

Steve

you might also note that "under fire" is incorrect: "within range of enemy mobile artillery" is the correct qualification. There is a very unsubtle difference!

As far as I know the rosette was issued with the 5 Aug. to 22 Nov. 1914 bar and was worn on the ribbon when it was worn without the medal. The 1914 star and Bar comprised The Mons Star, generally held by regulars of the BEF and some TF units

There was nothing to indicate whether a ribbon worn related to the 1914 star or 1914-15 star.

1914 Star

Instituted in 1917 for service ashore in France and Flanders between 5 August and 22 November 1914. In 1919 a clasp bearing the above dates was authorised and given to those individuals who had actually been under fire between the prescribed dates.

Source: http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...#campaignmedals

History and Eligibility

In 1917 King George V approved the grant of the 1914 Star, often referred to as the 'Mons Star', to all those officers and men of the British and Indian Expeditionary Forces, including civilian medical practitioners, nursing sisters, nurses and others employed with military hospitals, who actually served in France or Belgium on the establishment of a unit between 5 August 1914 and midnight on 22/23 November 1914. Officers and men of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Naval Reserve and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve who served on the establishment of a unit landed for shore service in France or Belgium between those dates were also eligible, but not those who served afloat.

On 19 October 1919 it was announced that The King had approved the issue of a clasp to those already awarded the 1914 Star 'who actually served under the fire of the enemy in France or Belgium' between 5 August and 22 November 1914.

The total number of 1914 Stars awarded is as follows:

• 1914 Stars 365,622

• 1914 Star Clasps 145,000

Source: http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server.php?s...29&navId=00g003

Served under the fire or been under fire seems not quite the same as within the range of………Hopefully this might clarify some questions?

Not the rosette affair though….

Cheers,

Michael

AO 361 od 16 October 1919 in its preamble approves issue to those "who actually served under the fire of the enemy". Its para 4 defines this as "actually present on duty within range of the enemy's mobile artillery. As I seaid, not the same as being shot at: much preferable.

I do love it when info from 'supposedly trustworthy' sources cannot be trusted? :angry:

Langley, could you please let me know where exactly I can find the reliable info?

Grrrrr....

Thanks,

Michael

Done and sorry about the incorrect info!

Cheers,

Michael