Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Request, Poelcapelle Area

Beselare

I am trying to trace the limit of a light railway built by the 17th Railway Pioneer Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. It is somewhere between Langemarck and Poelcapelle.

On the trench map, reference Bixschoote, 20.SW.4. Edition 7B(S), Base Map (4th), FSC 8414, 3/3/18, there is a light railway marked in 30.c.&.d., going towards Poelcapelle. It is the limit of this one I am trying to find. Unfortunately, the N&MP CD does not have the corresponding base map for the east of sheet 20.SW.4 which would show what I am looking for. Is there anyone who can please help?

Many thanks

Bob

Dont know if it will help but McMasters have aerial photos ofthe area of map 20SE3 for 1917/18 in the photo 20V section

Eddie

Bob,

If you haven't already found it, this is probably the aerial for where you want: Click

My comments I'll leave for the other thread.

Phil

Thanks again Phil. I was just about to do the search and checked the Forum first. I am having a problem seeing any light railways on the photo so I will have to carry on searching.

Bob

Bob,

Just quickly (I've got to make the most of a dry day), here's my earlier attempt at a Google Earth overlay. The three markers on the base image are Pheasant Farm, Bavaroise House and Haanixbeek Farm cemeteries.

Phil

post-20576-0-38390600-1335773206.jpg

Is this the light railway you are interested in Bob?(running alongside Gloster avenue on the map)

Tom

post-5284-0-38948900-1335791830.jpg

Same railway further to the SW of map

post-5284-0-74263800-1335792606.jpg

Thanks Towisuk

The railway I am after is indeed the one running along Gloster Avenue. The problem is that the trench map ends there and I am going slightly round the twist trying to find an adjoining map showing where the railway continues to and ends.

Bob

Thanks Towisuk

The railway I am after is indeed the one running along Gloster Avenue. The problem is that the trench map ends there and I am going slightly round the twist trying to find an adjoining map showing where the railway continues to and ends.

Bob

Hi Bob, yes I looked for the continuation of the light railway NE on all the adjoining maps I have, but with no luck.....

regards

Tom

Can't help using a British map, but this German map from the end of December 1917 appears to show the terminus of the railway. July 1918 German maps show the railways as the same so I presume that this edition shows the correct details as it was in March 1918 too?

Dave

post-357-0-66683500-1335866357.jpg

Thanks very much Dave. I am getting closer now.

In the right hand middle of the map, east of the cemetery, you can see where the railway there might continue towards Poelcapelle. Does your map cover the area up towards Poelcapelle and is this particular railway line shown as continuing on that section? The date of December 1917 is even bettter for me than the March 1918 British map.

Many thanks

Bob

Bob,

Before I go out of my mind looking at any more maps and diaries, the 17th Battalion NF were attached to 7th Battalion Canadian Railway Troops. Click here.

I can't come up with the definitive answer for where he was killed, but it's not Poelcapelle, as far as I can see.

Phil

Thanks Phil - I'm just off to Fromelles so I will plough through the diaries when I return.

Bob

Hi Phil

I have now at last had a break and have been through the diaries. I have found the place where my soldier was killed on 16th November - it was at Rudolph Farm, not far from Pilkem and the 7th Northumberland's casualty details are listed for that date. Pte. Tait's niece, Elizabeth, is coming here on Friday and I can now confidently take her to the spot. Many thanks for your invaluable help.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I'm glad you've got it sorted out. The 1st Battalion CRT also has this extract in their diary for the 16th Nov - "....and about 10.30 while unloading ballast at Pilckem a heavy barrage was kept up on the ridge a few yards ahead...."

Phil

Hi Phil

For your information I took Elizabeth to see her uncle's grave at Bard Cottage Cemetery. When we found it, it was very interesting to see that all the five soldiers killed by the same shell on 16.11.17 (mentioned in the diary) were lying side-by-side with no space between the headstones which suggests that it was a mass grave with very little of the bodies remaining. (Rightly or wrongly I didn't disclose that information to Elizabeth.) They were killed while building ballast at Rudolph Farm Spur which is clearly identifiable on the trench map and just 200 yards south of Iron Cross. It was a very memorable visit for Elizabeth and thanks once again for your help.

Bob