Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spence A.C.G.G. Pte CIF on Liberton Memorial

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

Can't find a casualty that is mentioned on the Liberton (Edinburgh) Memorial. The line reads: Spence A.C.G.G. Pte CIF. The nearest I've come across is Adam G Spence, Pte 193244, 42nd CI, KIA 04/11/1917. Looking at the front page of his attestation paper online at the Canadian archives I note that this man certainly has an Edinburgh connection but I'm not convinced he is the right one.

I'm sure the initials are correct as I took a close up photo of the memorial and I'm certain the initials aren't meant to represent a medal, as other men on this memorial have special awards and no mention is made of those special awards on the memorial for the others.

Can anyone else find this man on CWGC, Scottish National War Memorial website or on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial website?

Regards

LIT

I'm no help really but could it be A.G.G.G.? Looking at the photograph (not a very clear one) on Scottish National War Memorial website it looks like A G G G to me.

Is Adam Gordon Spence the man you have been looking at?

He can be traced in the Scotland census records 1891 & 1901.

An Adam Spence is recorded as travelling from Montreal to Glasgow in 1908 onboard 'Ionian'.

Don't know if this is of any use.

It's from Scotlands people website, birth register.I have a copy of the page, if you would like a copy, pm me as I cannot upload it on here.

Seems a good match to the person you are looking for although the initials GG do not appear anywhere.

Archibald Chisholm Spence, born 16 August 1896 at Morton Mains, Liberton, Edinburgh.

Father Archibald Chisholm Spence, Coachman

Mother Annie Spence, maiden name Campbell, married October 15th 1891, Newington district, Edinburgh

Purely by coincidence, I was brought up and went to school in Gracemount and my family moved to Ferniehill, both districts close to Liberton.

Al

Hi

Many thanks for the replies:

Sandie,

I agree that on the Scottish National War Memorial website that it looks like A.G.G.G. I therefore went to the memorial and looked at it close up and it definitely says A.C.G.G. The "C"s and "G"s do look very similiar though.

Al,

I also noticed this man in the 1901 census and thought he might be the right one. However no attestation paper exists for an Archibald C Spence. There are only three records for Archibald Spence. Two are older than the man you mention and were born in Dunfermline and Canada respectively. There is one other Archibald Spence with a regimental number of A23127. The trouble with this one is that the attestation paper is missing and no date of birth is given. I will however keep this man in mind.

Many thanks to you both.

Regards

LIT

• 2 years later...

Hi

Can't find a casualty that is mentioned on the Liberton (Edinburgh) Memorial. The line reads: Spence A.C.G.G. Pte CIF. The nearest I've come across is Adam G Spence, Pte 193244, 42nd CI, KIA 04/11/1917. Looking at the front page of his attestation paper online at the Canadian archives I note that this man certainly has an Edinburgh connection but I'm not convinced he is the right one.

I'm sure the initials are correct as I took a close up photo of the memorial and I'm certain the initials aren't meant to represent a medal, as other men on this memorial have special awards and no mention is made of those special awards on the memorial for the others.

Can anyone else find this man on CWGC, Scottish National War Memorial website or on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial website?

Regards

LIT

There was an Adam Charles George Gordon Spence born in Edinburgh on 10th Feb 1885, son of Peter Spence and Jessie Ann Renwick.

They are recorded in the 1891 census as residing at 8 Bath Street and in the 1901 census at 4 Wolseley Gardens....neither near Liberton.

However, the sons initials are an exact match.

The Adam Gordon Spence mentioned in the previous posts (PTE 192344 of the 42 Bn (Quebec) Canadian Infantry) is recorded in Canadian records as being the son of a man called Peter Spence.

I found Adam Charles George Gordon Spence's record of birth in Scotlands People (name and DOB as above) but can't find a marriage or death record for him in that same database, possibly due to moving to Canada? (pure speculation on my part)

I haven't been able to make the connection 'between the one man/two men' and don't know what the link is with Liberton, but hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge of these things than me; might be able to follow up?

(p.s.....I was brought up in Liberton)

Hi Ron

Thanks for this informtaion. I think this man served as Pte 192344 in the 42nd CI and DOW 04/11/1917. Again and excellent match especially with the initials. An Edinburgh connection certainly but no obvious Liberton connection. However he and Archibald Chishlom Spence remain my best candidates.

Thanks again.

LIT

Hi Ron

Thanks for this informtaion. I think this man served as Pte 192344 in the 42nd CI and DOW 04/11/1917. Again and excellent match especially with the initials. An Edinburgh connection certainly but no obvious Liberton connection. However he and Archibald Chishlom Spence remain my best candidates.

Thanks again.

LIT

I presume you've already tried Liberton Kirk? I note from the church website that there is a member of the congregation who is apparently a local historian and geneologist. Here's the link:-

http://libertonkirk.net/history/

Just a thought.