Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Wales Borderers

swizz

Hello

I'm researching a soldier - 25195 Pte Robert Lennon - who died on 28 May 1916, serving in the Somme area with the 2nd South Wales Borderers. According to the local newspaper, he was "killed accidentally" and if possible I'd like to find out the circumstances.

Would anyone have the battalion's war diary and be prepared to do a quick look-up?

Swizz

"Casualties: One man accidentally killed" is all it says. Cannot say when or where as the battalion was scattered all over the place on working parties or moving up into the line from Acheux to in front of Auchonvillers after training.

I have the SWB history at home but I'm in Munich at present. PM me if you want a check but it will be a week or so and likely not to get a mention but you never know.

Bernard

Swizz,

Lennon isn't mentioned in the History of the SWB (apart from the casualty roll). All the book has is that;

'At the end of May the 2nd returned to its former trenches and had an active ten days, improving the defences, making more communication trenches between the old and new front lines, putting up more wire and draining the trenches...'

SteveJ.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back onto this thread - I haven't had much internet time over the last few days.

Thank you Steve, Bernard and bmac for this information. Although it doesn't provide any more detail on the circumstances, it does at least confirm that the local newspaper was right about there having been an accident. It's great to be able to put an approximate location to it too.

So thanks again to all three for your help :)

Swizz