Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE unit has me stumped

plattyuk

Hi this is my first post so here goes.

I recently purchased a MSM from the First War named to 23750 Cpl -A.Sjt C E Fry E.IN-C GHQ RE

I cannot establish what sub branch of the RE this chap served in and it's now really starting to wind me up.

I know he later became an officer observer with the RAF and served with 7 Sqd in France and Iraq.

Can anybody with RE expertise identify what E.IN-C G.H.Q. R.E stands for.

Standing by

Sgtgrumpy.

1335298793[/url]' post='1743959']

Engineer in Chief General Headquarters Royal Engineers?

Mike

Mike, you have made my day, still leaves a few questions about what he did there but that's for another day.

Thanks again

Mark.

Mike,

Just noticed the question mark after your reply, I'm guessing that you had a guess as well which is much better than I came up with but thinking about it sounds more like a title rather than a unit.

Fry could have been attached to the staff of the engineer in chief at GHQ, I believe he was a draftsman in civilian life so would be useful making maps plans etc.

Any other suggestions would be greatfully received

Hi Mark,welcome to the Forum.

Looking at your mans medal cards he was later in the 6th Squadron R.A.F.

+ he had a M.I.D.(Mention in Despatches) in London Gazette 18/05/1917.

not much help but Hi.

Gary

Presume he worked for the Commander in Chief, GHQ RE - office in some capacity. Usually the backroom staff for all RE stuff.

The CRE would have been at GHQ and would need a staff.

Steve M

1335356797[/url]' post='1744156']

Hi Mark,welcome to the Forum.

Looking at your mans medal cards he was later in the 6th Squadron R.A.F.

+ he had a M.I.D.(Mention in Despatches) in London Gazette 18/05/1917.

not much help but Hi.

Gary

Thanks for the welcome, I should have joined years ago to tap into all the knowledge, I will have to search the usual places again to bottom this one out, it would be nice to establish how many RAF officers could have worn the MSM but I guess that would be almost impossible, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be many. Thanks again for the post.

1335363757[/url]' post='1744192']

Presume he worked for the Commander in Chief, GHQ RE - office in some capacity. Usually the backroom staff for all RE stuff.

The CRE would have been at GHQ and would need a staff.

Steve M

Hi Steve,

I'm guessing but perhaps Fry rubbing shoulders with the top brass at GHQ could have eased his selection in to the RAF with a couple of good recommendations, I have downloaded his RAF papers but they are the first I've ever seen and taking a bit to get my head around and understand the format. Thanks for the post.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

ELECTRICIAN IN CHARGE GHQ RE.?I WOULDN'T THINK A CPL/SGT WOULD BE ENGINEER IN CHIEF? COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE OF COURSE.BEST W HOWARD

1336510106[/url]' post='1749495']

ELECTRICIAN IN CHARGE GHQ RE.?I WOULDN'T THINK A CPL/SGT WOULD BE ENGINEER IN CHIEF? COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE OF COURSE.BEST W HOWARD

Howard,

Thanks for the suggestion it will go in the hat with the others, this is what I really like about the First War MSM, many strange and wonderful unit descriptions to keep me busy.

Regards

Mark