Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carbon as a moth proofer

T8HANTS

I have just been reading the weekly orders for the 8th Hants for July 1911, in which the N.C.O's and men are reminded to place "carbon" with their green and Service Dress uniforms to prevent moths.

I have never heard of carbon as a moth preventer before, and was just wondering if anyone else has, what form it takes, and is it worth using with my "green and Service Dress unforms", as the little blighters seem addicted to modern mothballs.

Gareth

Possibly used as it may have been better than nothing, but modern moth balls apparently don't use naptha - the original repellent - as it apparently

is carcinogenic and also flammable. A different repellent is used nowadays possibly accounting for the current addiction.

Gareth,

Cedar wood is said to be effective given that you may prefer not to trail clouds of cloves, mint or lavender (other suggested natural remedies) behind you...

Probably refers to some form of Carbon Tetra Chloride (CTC) which is about the only sure fire preventative.. Dry cleaning very shortly followed by sealing in a plastic bag will preserve against moth (rust isn't a problem) but isn't very good for displaying.