Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medals ?

Dave Pye

Can any one ID these Medals which belonged to my Wife's Grandfather who was in Belgium in WW1. His name was Francis Henry Bryant and was gassed in the trenches.

Another picture.

post-89401-0-80844800-1335213107.jpg

post-89401-0-33839400-1335213596.jpg

I looked on a few dealer's sites and found plenty of Belgian medals but not an example of those two.

Wish I could be of more assistance. The one on the left looks like an official issue of some sort, though.

Regards,

Joseph

The cypher of the one on the left isn't the royal cypher, I make it a combination of RASN?

Hi

The one on the right would appear to have something to do with a "water festival" on 21.7.25. at the "home" (hostel) in recognition of the war invalids who contracted tuberculosis???? (tuberculiux de guerre = gassed?)

Regards Barry

Hello,

As a medal collector I saw a lot medals, but I"m afraid never saw these medals, before.

Jef

The cypher of the one on the left isn't the royal cypher, I make it a combination of RASN?

Looking at the live subject the letters seem to be RBNS. (Are the ribbons of any Consequence?)

The crown on the top appears to be same as the ones on other Belgian awards such as Order of the Crown.

Thanks Dave.

Is the cypher correct to the crown, it appears to be lighter.

Is the cypher correct to the crown, it appears to be lighter.

Definitely correct just a trick of the light as the cypher is flat and the crown 3D the cypher being hinged on the crown. Could be silver as they are tarnished and I don't want to risk cleaning.

The medals have always been in the family so I am sure they are genuine. (Just Mysterious)

I Don't know what regiment he was in but will attach a photo of him in uniform which may help.post-89401-0-33775000-1335378803.jpg

There are surviving pemsion records for 1742 Driver Francis Henry Bryant, of 2nd Welsh Bde, RFA. He was a telephone clerk from Cardiff in 1915 when he enlisted.

EDIT - No, this man was only 18 apparently. - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=francis+henry&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=bryant&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&uidh=7u6&cp=11&pcat=39&h=119311&db=BritishArmy&indiv=1

Ok, there's an MIC for 192939 Gunner Francis H Bryant RGA. Entitled to a pair.

Also, single page of papers for 194374 Francis H Bryant, in which he is compulsorily transferred to 5th Bn Royal Fusiliers in Feb 1918. (72562)

Ok, there's an MIC for 192939 Gunner Francis H Bryant RGA. Entitled to a pair.

Also, single page of papers for 194374 Francis H Bryant, in which he is compulsorily transferred to 5th Bn Royal Fusiliers in Feb 1918. (72562)

I know he came from Guildford but don't know much more yet.

I have been looking online at uniforms and the closest that incorporate the bandolier and lanyard seem to be Royal Horse Artillery. Am I mistaken?

Thanks Dave.

There was a Regatta at Le Havre in 1925, so possibly these are sort of commemorative medals for this event and possibly money was raised for the 'Home for Invalids of the War' through this event? The medals could be, one Belgian and one French? Not sure about the ribbons though!!

Hi All

The translation from the medal and a quick "google" lead me to think the medals could be sailing trophies from the Le Havre Yachting Club, although the ribbons look similar to the Belgian national flag! Yachting Club still in existence so a quick e-mail may confirm.

Regards Barry