Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ox & bucks light infantry chronicle 1914-15 &1915-16 (30th jun

pete franklin

To whom it might concern I have the regimental chronicles for the ox and bucks light infantry from aug 14 upto 30th june 16. If anyone would like some look ups i would gladly be able to help

Thanks is their photos in the chronicle? and does it cover all battalions ?

Thanks

Thanks is their photos in the chronicle? and does it cover all battalions ?

Thanks

yes there are photos and i believe it does cover all battalions

• 9 months later...

Hello. Very generous of you. I have the war diary for the 2nd Coldstream, which is also open to anyone interested. Would there be any photos of the 5th btn Ox/Bucks by any chance. My Great uncle Albert Plumb joined in Oct 15 and was killed at Arras 1917. Another member has kindly provided me with the account of May 3rd Attack on Hillside works, which was the attack in which he was killed, but a photo of the battalion would be fantastic.

Best wishes

Hello. Very generous of you. I have the war diary for the 2nd Coldstream, which is also open to anyone interested. Would there be any photos of the 5th btn Ox/Bucks by any chance. My Great uncle Albert Plumb joined in Oct 15 and was killed at Arras 1917. Another member has kindly provided me with the account of May 3rd Attack on Hillside works, which was the attack in which he was killed, but a photo of the battalion would be fantastic.

Best wishes

Unfortunately the Chronicles do not have photos of other ranks, only officers who were killed with obituaries/biographies, and then not all by a long-long way!! You may have more luck locating a photo of your GU in local newspapers from the area in which he lived at the time of his death.

Good Luck.

O.K. Thanks for looking. Best wishes.

• 7 years later...

I am looking for more information about 8597 Pvt Edwards 1st Btn Ox and Bucks who died on 22 June 1916. I have the War Diary but anything about his service beforehand would be much appreciated if your generous offer is still open. As James Ebenezer Edwards, he appears in the 1911 military Census so could appear early on in the chronicles.

2 hours ago, chas69 said:

8597 Pvt Edwards 1st Btn Ox and Bucks who died on 22 June 1916.

Forgive me if you already know this. He was one of those that got as far as Mosul on that terrible long march into captivity after the fall of Kut. The seriously sick that were left there were dying at a rapid rate due to lack of hospital facilities etc. Captain (Colonel) Spackman RAMC describes these in his book Captured at Kut, Prisoner of the Turks.

Charlie

Captain Spackman was Indian Medical Service IMS at the time (and at least to 1930) , not RAMC.  If you are signed in to Ancestry you can see his listing in  UK, Roll of the Indian Medical Service, 1615 -1930 by D G Crawford, published 1930.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61103/images/46173_302022005561_1742-00669?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=0eef5ecdf8d6ad0f5d8a06092dc4fc08&pId=7573

He was quite young  (in doctor terms) when he was in taken prisoner of war,  ( born 23 September 1889)

Maureen

This was the result of more than a hundred death certificates that Spackman had to write whilst at Mosul. The OBLIs reached the town c30th May 1916 and stayed a couple of days before marching on to Asia Minor.

From the ICRC site

768853538_KutOBLIEdwardsJDeathCertICRC.JPG.cb14bb40cf725a1999c6fed5c3e26e15.JPG

• 2 years later...

Do you have any information regarding Horace Swift 2nd Bn.  Ox and Bucks LI Serial number 9796?

KIA at Cuinchy France 4th December 1915?

Would appreciate any help.

Kind Regards