Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insignia Permitted on Service Greatcoat

mark holden

I wonder if anyone can assit me in confirming what insignia or badges other than rank badges were allowed to be worn on the greatcoat. I have a picture of wound stripes being worn on the greatcoat but was anything else allowed?

Many thanks

Mark

I wonder if anyone can assit me in confirming what insignia or badges other than rank badges were allowed to be worn on the greatcoat. I have a picture of wound stripes being worn on the greatcoat but was anything else allowed?

Many thanks

Mark

Mark,

There is a Thread running at the moment entitled " Greatcoats ", take a look at posts #16 & #18, they show examples of WW1 period Greatcoats with various sleeve insignia.

I understand there were restrictions on the type of badges which could be worn on the greatcoat sleeve, and I am sure another member will detail those restrictions for you.

LF

Thanks LF a useful thread.

Mark

away from my sources but the basic rule was to wear shoulder titles, rank and little or nothing else. I have seen the Geneva Cross on examples.

Of course, in war and in the line, a man might get away with much. Not so at the Channel ports, and the London railway stations, swarming with bored redcaps.

Grumpy,

Many thanks. I attach this picture of three soldiers all wearing wound stripes on their greatcoats.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-05714400-1335473570.jpg