Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred R Drewry A&SH, MGC

o j kirby

Hello,

In my collection, I have a 1914/15 trio with defence medal (all mounted). The British War Medal has a single Oak leaf emblem on the ribbon. The medals are named to S/10032 Alfred R Drewry, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He also served as 74146 Machine Gun corps.In WW2, he was in the Home Guard.

Can anyone advise me on how to establish a date for the m-i-d? Were all officially announced? I have had a search on the London Gazette, but had no luck.

Would the medal roll provide an answer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Owain.

Hi Owain,

The oak leaf should be on the Victory Medal if it was for WW1. I did a LG search & couldn't find anything either.

If you have a look on ancestry.co.uk (or ask another member nicely if you can't yourself) for his Medal Information Card it should have some reference to the MiD & may, but there is no guarantee, have the date it was gazetted.

Regards,

Alex

Hi

No mention of MID on his MIC, and it is on the wrong medal.

I cant see anything in LG either, both for WW1 and WW2, there is a story there, but who knows what it is?

regards

Robert

Many thanks for the replies, and taking the time to look

Hello,

Don't know why my last comment ended up on the forum before I finished! Anyway, thanks for hte time and for looking. I am aware that the oakleaf emblem is on the wrong ribbon, and, am I right in saying that for WW1, it ought to be a bunch of leaves instead of the one? I will see if any kind soul is able to check the medal roll for me, and perhaps an answer will emerge.

Cheers,

Owain.

Owain,

The style of the leaf changed in 1920 so yes WW1 MID & WW2 are different.

Here is a WW1 MID leaf & HERE is the 1920-1993 leaf and HERE is the post 1993 leaf.

Hope that helps,

Alex