Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

anyone know what this is?

funkysnair

found this in my basement, im sure its got something to do with my grandad but i have no idea!!

basicly i would like to know of the age and what on earth it is please?

its been in the shed and is basicly gonna get forgotten about unless i can find some info on it!

direct link to pics

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/funkysnair/found%20in%20basement/

found this in my basement, im sure its got something to do with my grandad but i have no idea!!

basicly i would like to know of the age and what on earth it is please?

its been in the shed and is basicly gonna get forgotten about unless i can find some info on it!

direct link to pics

http://s108.photobuc...0in%20basement/

It's the fuse from a shell. Someone who really knows about these things will give you a lot more detail.

Looks like a fuse from a shell to me, Isuspect it is from the second world war ,Hope someone can help further.

Dave

Hi Ken

Its the fuse to a shell, hope its a dud, as one of these things( a 77mm German one) Killed my Great Uncle in 1915

Dave

Has it got a number on it? It looks like a No.199 fuze, in which case it is WW2 for a 3.7 inch AA gun

REgards

TonyE

thanx for all the input!

its does have writting on "No207 I VAS 41"

its all empty, just metal but looks interesting to me so i dug it out of the shed and gave it a little clean, been meaning to get some info on it for a while now - im only 30yrs of age and my war time knowledge is kinda minimal.

however i do have great respect for people who have been in wars for our country

Yep, definately a fuse from a shell. The numbers around the bottom are used to set a pre-determined time when the shell would explode, same system as the Royal Artillery still use in the modern ammunition, particularly for illuminating shells. If i remember my Level 1 Guns course, and it has been a few years, the only fuse to employ a timer is the L81. Happy to be corrected.

Your's aye

Ewan

Yep, definately a fuse from a shell. The numbers around the bottom are used to set a pre-determined time when the shell would explode, same system as the Royal Artillery still use in the modern ammunition, particularly for illuminating shells. If i remember my Level 1 Guns course, and it has been a few years, the only fuse to employ a timer is the L81. Happy to be corrected.

Your's aye

Ewan

So it's a rare fuse?

Its nice to get some info on it, would it be hard to find a shell to fit it?

Just to keep in the house because the fuse alone is so small and I think it may get lost where as if I have the shell also I'll get it polished up and keep it

Think i might have found some info from my old friend google

No 220 - time and percussion fuze used early in the war with non-streamlined smoke shells.  The time function was by combustion.

Does this sound accurate?

Anything pre Light Gun defeats me I'm afraid. Unsure if you would be able to find an inert shell, however stranger things have been found on the internet.

Yeh well thanx for your input I think I might be a step closer to finding its true identity!!

I know some people might find it a little weird wanting a bomb as an decorative item but it's got history and it's worth more than the bin surely?

Still holding on for bit more info :)

Well out of period for this forum. The No.207 fuze was introduced into service in 1939 for use with 3.7" AA guns. It has a 43 second timing mechanism.

Mike

Only ninety-four more posts and we can all wax eloquent about it o'er in Skindles. Lovely fuze, by the way.

-Daniel

Well out of period for this forum. The No.207 fuze was introduced into service in 1939 for use with 3.7" AA guns. It has a 43 second timing mechanism.

Mike

How is it well out of period for forum, does this not fall into ww2 era?

I just realise I mistaken the number for my fuse as no220 in one of my posts!! It is no207

And the timer goes from 0 - 30

Ken dog,

The 220 is again a Time and Percussion Fuze. The time element was by burning train and it was brought into service at the beginning of WWII for use with un-streamlined smoke shell. It was replaced by the no 221 and No221b which stayed in service until I believe the 70's, (I remember being taught it in training for the 25 Pdr).

Rod

How is it well out of period for forum, does this not fall into ww2 era?

I just realise I mistaken the number for my fuse as no220 in one of my posts!! It is no207

And the timer goes from 0 - 30

It is well out of period because this is a WWI forum, not WWII.

To answer your other question, a decent 3.7 inch AA shell (assuming you do actually have a No.207 fuze) will be fairly hard to find, but by no means impossible. Beltring is coming up in July and that would be your best bet in the short term.

REgards

TonyE

It is well out of period because this is a WWI forum, not WWII.

To answer your other question, a decent 3.7 inch AA shell (assuming you do actually have a No.207 fuze) will be fairly hard to find, but by no means impossible. Beltring is coming up in July and that would be your best bet in the short term.

REgards

TonyE

Woops my mistake I thought this was a general world war forum covering both wars!!

No matter I'm glad I registered as I spent 2 hrs looking at old pics and reading about weapons which has me interested now

Cheers for your time lads much appreciated

Ken