Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Soldier - Uniform ID Help

chrisu_au

I think the soldier in the attached photo might be John (Jack) Bates. He is known to have served in WWI but not with which of the forces. His background is such taht he might have enlisted in Australia, New Zealand or the UK. Any help in identifying with whom he served from the uniform in the attached photo would be much appreciated.

Chris

Sorry - photo attached I hope.

post-52363-0-64187800-1334760240.jpg

Sorry - photo attached I hope.

I believe he is a member of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade. During its existence the badge changed several times but the main features were always recognisable. I enclose a photo of a soldier wearing similar insignia.

The New Zealand Rifle Brigade (Earl of Liverpool's Own), affectionately known as The Dinks, was formed on 1 May 1915 as the 3rd brigade of the New Zealand Division, part of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. During WW1 it fought in Egypt, against the Senussi, and then on the Western Front. It was disbanded on 4 February 1919.

The decision was taken to use three battalions of NZ reinforcements in Egypt, with another inbound, to form the 2nd New Zealand Brigade. The 5th Reinforcements were still in New Zealand and were nominated to form the nucleus of a new infantry unit that was initially designated as the Trentham Infantry Regiment, after the camp where it was formed. Consisting of two battalions and commanded by a British Army officer, Lt Col H.T. Fulton DSO, it did not become the New Zealand Rifle Brigade until 1 Oct 1915 shortly after a 3rd and 4th Battalion had been added.

Two battalions left Wellington on 8 October 1915 eventually arriving in Cairo on 14 November. They were then attached for duties with the Western Frontier Force. They were joined on 13 and 15 March 1916 by the third and fourth battalions. After a period of reorganisation the full brigade left Alexandria on 7 April for France.

France

After a period of training the brigade entered the line on 13 May east of Armentieres. It participated in the vast majority of the battles of 1916, 1917 and 1918. Notable examples include:

• The brigade's first major offensive was during the Battle of the Somme when it attacked on 15 September as part of the Battle of Flers-Courcelette.
  • The Battle of Messines, possibly the most complete Allied victory of the war until late 1918.
  • Third Ypres, normally described these days as Passchendaele.
  • It was thrown into a gap in the line caused by the German attack, called Operation Michael, on 26 April 1918.
  • Finally it fully participated in the Hundred Days Offensive that ultimately culminated inside Germany.

The first elements of the Brigade were returned to New Zealand from 26 December 1918, with up to 1000 per week leaving. By the end of January 1919, the four battalions had been reduced to two with the final units being disbanded on 4 February 1919.

post-599-0-44822100-1334762457.jpg

Thank you Frogsmile - much appreciated.

Thank you Frogsmile - much appreciated.

I am glad to have been of assistance. You can read a great deal about the evolution of the badges at this link: http://militarianz.freeforums.org/new-zealand-rifle-brigade-badges-and-insignia-database-t1797.html

post-599-0-56225400-1334762406.jpg

Hello All,

just to add to this thread,I also endorse the thread on NZRB badges,not because i was a contributor,but because it is the best piece of research undertaken on NZ rifle brigade badges and insignia, for many year.

The photo's i submit are of my grandfather .Rifleman,John(Jack) Davidson 40908,22nd NZRB reinforcements,H company.They show him wearing this variation of a NZRB reiinforcenent badge.In Geoffrey Lowe's book ''New zealand reinforcement badges 1914-1918,it says 'Full size rrampant lion without scroll,on type no .12 basic frame,worn by reinforcement 11-20.Obviously that information is not quite factual but it still gives a range in to which your man served.

Other resources ,if you wish to research more about the idividual ,i would recommend,Archives New Zealand,archway search engine,and the Auckland war memorial,Cenotaph database,both services available online

Cheers Iain

actual badges as worn by Rifleman Davidson

post-44632-0-06441500-1335120594.jpg

post-44632-0-65755200-1335120791.jpg