Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1919 hospital Gibraltar

markankers

Does anyone know anything about the hospital in Gibraltar. My g/ granfather was in there in 1919 due to being gas poisoning

Does anyone know anything about the hospital in Gibraltar. My g/ granfather was in there in 1919 due to being gas poisoning

yes thanks for the link

The website is a bit peculiar. The building it shows in a sort of blue seems to me to be what I knew when I lived their as the military hospital.

It bears no relation to the Naval Hospital. I lived in that long after it had been demilitarised - more or less.

To find that on map of Gibraltar, go straight up the Rock from Rosia Bay. In my day there was an unpaved road (then path) leading from slightly to the south of Rosia to a back pedestrian entrance into the hosipital.

It was a very peculiar place. It had become married quarters in, I think, the early 1950s (I lived there from 1956 to 57). The front was a row of large houses lived in by senior RN officers. The rest was a sort of conversion of the wards. I remember one "flat" had about 8 toilets, three massage tables, and several bathrooms). They were all very long and in several small children used to take their bikes to go to the toilet.

One family had the operating theatre as their living room, with all the other associated rooms as bedrooms, etc.

We had what may have been the matron's or senior doctor's place. We had to go up a flight of outside stairs to the first floor and then we had a house of two storeys. As there was very little storage space - especially for fuel for the wood fire heating, we had the mortuary as a part of the flat (across the outside area, not a part of the flat).

I don't remember anything about an underground hospital, but as they were digging tunnels as counter atom bomb defences all the time I was there, one tunnel would have been much like another.

If you have ever read the books by Alistair Mars about his time as a sub captain in WW2, his eventual court martial was voer his refusal to go to Gib and live in one of these places. I thought him daft as a small boy when I read what he said about where I was living, but In now think he was probably suffering from PTSD.

The flat concrete areas in the courtyard was, I guess, where Nissen huts had been during the war. They made splendid cricket areas, and football pitches (we were use dto skinning ourselves as all pitches there then were hard or gravel)

Happy Days.

Mark

A couple more photographs for you:

http://www.archhistory.co.uk/taca/healthhosp.html

The hospital is located on Europa Road, just a short distance from Europa Point . It was closed in 2008 and has now been sold to developers. Fortunately, they have resisted knocking the place down, instead they are converting it into (expensive) flats.

TR

many thanks for the photos. im using ansestry.com to try to find out why my g/grandfather william Heath cheshire regiment was sent there when he was injured in france. cant understand why they didnt just bring him to a hospital in the uk

regards

mark

Where did the information come from? I really don't think he would have ended up in Gibraltar if he was serving in France. In fact I would say it was impossible. And why was he being treated for gas poisoning in 1919? He may well have had service in France and may well have been gassed at some time, but if he was in hospital in Gibraltar after the Armistice, then most likely that he was serving there at the time after his unit was transferred.

Sue

i saw on ansestry.com that he was in the 2nd cheshire regiment and was in the B.E.F in 1914 then later he turns up in Gibraltar. i saw on his service record that he had gas poisoning. william heath number 13125.

I haven't had time to go through the whole record, but from what I can see he was admitted to No.12 General Hospital, Rouen (France) with gas poisoning on or around the 6th June 1915. He was taken back to England on the Hospital Ship St. Andrew, on 24 June 1915 and admitted to No.2 Western General Hospital (TF), Manchester. After he had recovered he was re-posted to the 1st Garrison Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment, and soon after went on garrison duty to Gibraltar - he was certainly there by October 1915. He then stayed in Gibraltar until he was demobilised at the end of the war.

Sue

many thanks for your time in looking sue the info you gave i didnt know and is helpful in my reserch