Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Officer's Tunic

P.B.

There seems to have been a reasonable degree of interest in the German topics posted on this part of the forum recently, so I thought I'd post these shots of my latest acquisition.

It's a M1910 pattern field grey tunic as worn by a Leutnant in Metzer Infanterie-Regiment Nr 98. Like almost all officer's tunics it's a private purchase example, this one being constructed in a whipcord type material -probably for field service use rather than walking out:

post-23-1092046861.jpg

This rear view shows the piped skirt flaps peculiar to the M1910 design:

post-23-1092046915.jpg

A close-up of the collar and shoulder boards. The latter bear the regimental numbers, as well as piping which denotes the Army Corps the regiment belongs to -in this case the yellow piping of the XVI Army Corps. This enables the tunic to de dated as pre-late 1915, when the generic arm-of-service pipings were introduced (most infantry regiments, including IR 98, adopted white)

There is no tailor's label or owner's tag, so it's impossible to identify the original owner. The Iron Cross ribbon appears to be original to the tunic, and at one time an Iron Cross first class has been attached to the breast.

post-23-1092047233.jpg

Guest Chip Minx

Paul,

I very nice and typical officer's tunic. It is always a pleasure to see untampered with specimens! Very astute of you to say "like almost all of officer's tunics it's a private purchase example". Of course, all officer's tunics had to be purchased, but not all were custom made. Some officers chose to purchase their tunics from government issue supplies. I have seen two such original examples. Both of these were Bavarian, which did not lead me to make any assumptions. I am sure it was just a coincidence.

My example is an model 1910/15 simplified field artillery tunic, which is issue in every respect. No alterations whatsoever. Marked inside to the first Bavarian Army Corps. The shoulder boards are those of a Lieutenant from the 1.Feldartillerie Regiment Prinz Luitpold, which is correct to the 1st corps. The boards are the removeable type and were tacked down at the corners to keep them in place. Another I inspected at a Stuttgart show back in the 1980s had the same attributes although it was from the 10.Infantrie Regiment. The officer's boards matched the unit markings on the inside. As soon as I set it back down on the table, someone grabbed it and bought it (another one of those moments you wish you could kick you own behind!)

Chip

Generalfeldmarschall of the Luftwaffe? :D

Thanks to everyone who has responded on this one ....and Egbert, I have no idea! :D

Chip

I've also seen one officer's tunic which falls into the catergory you describe -entirely an issue piece, but with officer's boards. A fellow collector though it must be wrong, and (how little he knew!) had had the rank upgraded to increase the value.....for the benefit of non-collectors reading this, fraudulently turning a perfectly good other ranks tunic into an officer's model would actually decrease the value!

Fortunately this one wasn't for sale, so I haven't kicked my own backside over it....although there have been countless other occasions.... :D

Best regards

Paul.