Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Naval Sword

Dave Pye

I have recently obtained a Royal Navy Officers Sword, The makers name is Moseley and Pounsford, 32 The Hard, Portsmouth. Serial Number 16182 and would be grateful for any info on it. I am told that it was made around WW1 but know that it is pre 1940 as this company changed addresses that year.

Thanks Dave.

I have recently obtained a Royal Navy Officers Sword, The makers name is Moseley and Pounsford, 32 The Hard, Portsmouth. Serial Number 16182 and would be grateful for any info on it. I am told that it was made around WW1 but know that it is pre 1940 as this company changed addresses that year.

Thanks Dave.

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is the blade engraved ? if so, it will probably have a Royal Cypher etched on the blade, which will be that of King George V ( WW1 period ), or King George VI ( inter-war years & WW2 ) or a much rarer King Edward VIII ( inter-war ). Those three Royal Cyphers would cover the period WW1 - WW2.

Is there any chance of some photographs ?

LF

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is the blade engraved ? if so, it will probably have a Royal Cypher etched on the blade, which will be that of King George V ( WW1 period ), or King George VI ( inter-war years & WW2 ) or a much rarer King Edward VIII ( inter-war ). Those three Royal Cyphers would cover the period WW1 - WW2.

Is there any chance of some photographs ?

LF

Thanks LF, the Sword is etched but do not know which royal crest is which so will post some photos asap.

Dave.

Dave,

Here are examples of all three Royal Cyphers - King George V ( GVR ) - King Edward VIII ( EVIIIR ) and King George VI ( GVIR ).

LF

post-63666-0-47818000-1334616261.png

post-63666-0-58088800-1334616273.png

post-63666-0-81916700-1334616287.jpg

quote name='Lancashire Fusilier' timestamp='1334616292' post='1740500']

Dave,

Here are examples of all three Royal Cyphers - King George V ( GVR ) - King Edward VIII ( EVIIIR ) and King George VI ( GVIR ).

LF

LF. Some Photos are attached hope they help.There seems to be a Royal crest but no cyphers.

Dave.post-89401-0-53593400-1334679768.jpgpost-89401-0-54988500-1334679860.jpg

Dave,

Many thanks for the photographs of your naval sword.

Most Army sword engravings incorporate a Royal Cypher, and a lot of Naval swords do not. I checked my Naval sword, and that is engraved very similarly to your's, and mine does not show a Royal Cypher either.

Going just by the Royal Coat of Arms, it is harder to date the sword, as the Royal Coat of Arms for both KGV amd KGVI are almost the same.

The Royal Coat of Arms for QEII is different, in that her's has a " Queen's Crown " as opposed to the King's Crown.

I shall look up some Royal Coats of Arms and get back to you.

LF

Dave,

Most Army sword engravings incorporate a Royal Cypher, and a lot of Naval swords do not. I checked my Naval sword, and that is engraved very similarly to your's, and mine does not show a Royal Cypher either.

Going just by the Royal Coat of Arms, it is harder to date the sword, as the Royal Coat of Arms for both KGV amd KGVI are almost the same.

The Royal Coat of Arms for QEII is different, in that her's has a " Queen's Crown " as opposed to the King's Crown.

LF

Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

LF

Apparently Moseley and Pounsford were only at the Hard address between 1920 and 1941 which would date it between the wars.

Dave.