Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star

oscarquebec

Since researching my WW1 ancestors I've been keeping a close eye on various internet sites in the hope of finding one of their 1914 or 1914 – 15 stars. I know it's a long shot, but you never know. What I'm surprised about is the number of obliterated stars that are available. I guess I know the answer, but why would anyone do that?

Since researching my WW1 ancestors I've been keeping a close eye on various internet sites in the hope of finding one of their 1914 or 1914 – 15 stars. I know it's a long shot, but you never know. What I'm surprised about is the number of obliterated stars that are available. I guess I know the answer, but why would anyone do that?

Hi GD,

When you say obliterated I assume you mean with the naming erased?

The reason that this happened is, I believe, in some cases due to the fact that family members thought that if they sold some of the family medals they needed to erase the name in order to disguise the fact that they were selling same. Unfortunately in doing so, of course, they made the medals virtually worthless!! Perhaps had they thought about this for a little longer then the penny may have dropped!!?

Of course others were erased by people who had lost their own medals and aquired another set. So they found it better to erase the names, I suppose, so they could not then be accused of wearing another man's medals!!

It is also neccessary to realise that years ago WW1 medals had little value either as scrap or to collectors, and so people treated them as such.

Robert

Thanks Robert

Much as I suspected, now so many years on I think it’s become important whenever possible to put a name and history on these items. Without sounding pious I think it’s a matter of honour and respect. :poppy:

Mal

Mal,

Why don't you post the details here, you never know what might pop up. There are many medal collectors here who are also members of the British Medal Forum.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks Andy

The medals I'm looking for are:

1914 Star for 8658 Pte J Wake DCLI

1914 1915 Star for Z510 Rfn S Wake Rifle Brigade

Cheers Mal