Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning A Death penny

william wiencek

I recently purchased A Death penny to Serjant David Borthwick S/N 35198 and would like to try to return it to his family .Dose any one know of A means to do this ?

Because it may well not have been. Well done William. You will need to try and track down the family. Start with the 1901 and 1911 Scottish Census to see if there were any siblings and work forward from there.

BORTHWICK, DAVID

Service No:35198

Date of Death:02/05/1917

Regiment/Service:Highland Light Infantry

18th Bn.

Grave Reference III. E. 15.

Cemetery CHAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY, HOLNON

Additional Information:

Son of David and Alison Borthwick, of 9, Caledonian Place, Edinburgh.

Where did you get the Service Number from, as there are few David Borthwicks who died.

Rgds

Tim D

Here they are in 1901:

Name: David Borthwick

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: David Borthwick

Mother's Name: Alison Borthwick

Where born: Edinburgh, Midlothian

Registration number: 685/2

Registration district: St Andrew

Civil parish: Edinburgh St James

County: Midlothian

Address: 19 Beaverhall Ter

ED: 64

Household schedule number: 41

Line: 7

Roll: CSSCT1901_374

Household Members: Name Age

David Borthwick 41

Alison Borthwick 36

Amelia Borthwick 14

Isabella Borthwick 12

David Borthwick 8

John T Borthwick 2

Rgds

Tim D

Looks like his brother John emigrated and died in Australia in 1962. Their mother's last name was Thorburn. I would not take much notice of the Father's name. Let me make some inquiries here.

Name: John Thorburn Borthwick

Death Place: Western Australia

Father's Name: John T

Registration Year: 1962

Registration Place: Perth, Western Australia

Registration number: 3425

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

He appears on the 1949 Electoral Roll with an Elizabeth Pauline BORTHWICK, who appears to have died in 1972. Will have a look for children.

Rgds

Tim D

I am comfortable that this John Thorburn Borthwick is David's brother. have downloaded his Birth and Marriage certificates. He married an Elsa Paulina Rehbach (also known as Elizabeth Pauline it appears) in 1925 in Soctland and by 1949 they had emigrated to Western Australia and were living in Perth. Now we just need to trace offspring!

Rgds

Tim D

Looks like John T had a son of the same name. He is listed in the 1958 Electoral Roll with mum and dad. Occupation professional golfer. By 1963 he is living with an Anne Borthwick, whom I presume to be his wife. By 1980 he appears to be by himself, so appears they may not have had children.

Rgds

Tim D

By 1980 he appears to be by himself, so appears they may not have had children.

That could be tricky then. Not only in finding descendents but, even if found, deciding which one should be the rightful recipient. I see it as an issue whenver I see folk, like the OP, post with this admirable aim - even it was a direct line of sons and daughters, nearly 100 years on the family tree would now have many branches.

Thank you all for your interest and help . As I thought if I am able to do this it will be A lengthy process.Best Regards Bill

That could be tricky then. Not only in finding descendents but, even if found, deciding which one should be the rightful recipient. I see it as an issue whenver I see folk, like the OP, post with this admirable aim - even it was a direct line of sons and daughters, nearly 100 years on the family tree would now have many branches.

Not really John,

Generally start at the oldest sibling and go from there. I do some work as a researcher for Glyn Llanwarne of Lostmedals. Most families are just very appreciative to see these mementos returned to where they rightfully belong. Have a read of some of the stories here to see what I mean.

http://lostmedalsaustralia.blogspot.com.au/

Bill,

If this line of the family doesn't pan out we will just start with the next eldest. Can you tell me how you have linked this plaque to this soldier?

Rgds

Tim D

A really nice idea William. Best of luck with your research. :poppy:

Amelia Borthwick died in 1948. She was married to an Edinburgh Policeman named James Duncan Munro. They had a son named Hugh Munro who was present for the death.

Hugh Munro died in Edinburgh in 2000 aged 77, so born 1923.

Any of the pals in Scotland able to take this line further?

Rgds

Tim D

Bill did you purchase this plaque in the States?

Are we possibly searching for a branch of the family which moved there, taking the plaque with them?

CGM

Because it may well not have been. Well done William. You will need to try and track down the family. Start with the 1901 and 1911 Scottish Census to see if there were any siblings and work forward from there.

BORTHWICK, DAVID

Service No:35198

Date of Death:02/05/1917

Regiment/Service:Highland Light Infantry

18th Bn.

Grave Reference III. E. 15.

Cemetery CHAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY, HOLNON

Additional Information:

Son of David and Alison Borthwick, of 9, Caledonian Place, Edinburgh.

Where did you get the Service Number from, as there are few David Borthwicks who died.

Rgds Hi Tim Thanks for your quick reply. Looks like some great information.I found Davids S/N by doing A vague search at the CWGC web site.I'm sure this will be A lengthy process so I will do my to keep the forum up to date. Regards Bill

Tim D

Can you tell me how you have linked this plaque to this soldier?

... just echoing Tim's query.

Are you certain you can discount, for example, 650165 Gnr. David Borthwick, 315 Bde RFA (died 11/6/1917 and buried in Hop Store Cemetery and, also, from Edinburgh) as being the man to whom the plaque commemorates?

Dave

Thats what I was getting at William,

As Dave has pointed out, there are two men who died whom this plaque could be named to. Have you been able to link it to the first man any other way?

Where did you acquire it as we may be able to trace it that way?

Rgds

Tim D