Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of far off graves.

Matt Dixon

Several chaps I am researching are buried in far flung corners of the globe, most of which sadly I am very unlikely ever to visit, for example Iranga in Tanzania, Mhala in Yemen and the Mount of Olives in Israel.

Unless any Pals are going to be in these places, does anyone have any idea about how to get pictures taken (local organisations/ consulates etc) without actually going there?

Having searched the Net there doesn't seem to be a branch of the WFA in Yemen......

If they are CWWGC Graves then they did offer a Photographic service,quality,time, etc dependant on who took the Photograph,usually a member of their groundstaff or visiting administrator etc;but it might be worth checking out the Website?

Bon chance!

Matt,

You could try these people out. They're volunteers that take pics of CWGC graves for just this reason.........

War Grave Pics

If they haven't got it, they may know someone who can get (but you're asking for remote places).

Good luck.

Les.

I wish you luck with the above organisation. A nice slick web site but I have tried to join as a volunteer three times now and I still haven't appeared on their listing so I have given up. I applaude the sentiment of what they are trying to do but suspect that the organiser has plenty of other things going on in his life.

CWGC no longer offer a photographic service but will often oblige if possible for a close relative.

This may mean a long wait until they need to visit the cemetery for some other purpose or can fit it around other work. See the thread about NIGEL getting a photo from Kenya in the last couple of weeks.

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17599&hl=

Hi All, especially Terry and Jim.

Jim, I note your comment on the British War Memorial Project and yes the project director did have a lot on his plate and a full 'In box'!! However I have now taken over as 'Project Co-ordinator for UK (and Belgium) and answer my e mails every night (apart from when I am on duty).

Therefore anyone wishing to help out is more than welcome and will get a response providing they contact me initially as requested on site.

We are slowly getting volunteers abroad and have recently got some in Singapore, Thailand and even Japan. Hopefully sites like this will promote us ( in a better light?) and let everyone know that our pictures are free of charge. I suppose we could try and sell them on E Bay as another thread!!! (only kidding ;) ).

Obviously the more volunteers we get the better, with over 1.75 million to get it is not going to be short haul but it's got to start somewhere!!

Regards

Jolly Jack

Steve@wargarves.org.uk

But i was willing to pay and i did offer to pay for my pics, so you think someone could spend half an hour when in these parts to take some pics after all i bet a few people have seen or gone to the war cemetries in these remoter places. If an organisation was willing to pay .50p for each digital pic i am sure before long there would be a data bank full and logged forever no mater who or what destroys the graves in the future ready for potential customers of our generation and future interested parties-------Terry ?????????

CWGC cannot offer a commercial service because of its Charter restrictions.

However, they will usually take pics for close relatives for free. It is up to the person concerned if they make a donation as Nigel did.

I am photographing all Black Watch Graves (France, Belguim & UK) I can. I know I will never complete it but it has landed me in some interesting locations and keeps me amused.

I have over 2000 done so if you want one try me, I know I have just a fraction but it makes a good holiday project and besides the beer is good. (I have an understanding wife who also enjoys the hunt and the cafe's)

Fred

Matt, a couple of routes have occurred to me. For instance, I would like some photos from Burma (Myanmar), so one of these days I'll contact either the Burma Star Association or the British Legion when they are running a trip out there and ask very nicely.

And secondly, keep an eye open on the forum, or even put up a request. People go all over the world for holidays these days.

Iraq has proved very difficult, but I now have all I need from Basra. Amara and Mosul - guess they'll have to wait a bit. I have one from Gaza, and michaeldr goes to Ramleh occasionally, and has been very obliging. India, Syria, Namibia and Tunisia also remain, with holidays vaguely planned for Egypt and Italy.

I've tried to reciprocate, taking a photo in the Gambia for a pal - new digital camera, usual cock-up - no photo! Embarrassing!! <_<

I have a mate in Basra at the moment who tried to get the pics for me, but had to stop mid snap as he was being shot at..... :o

Try what i did-------After serching the internet trying to find info ( you only have to type my name or my relatives and you will get at least 2 results each time ), in desperation i found businesses and individuals in the area of the war graves. ASK THEM. I didnt get lucky much to my anger, but you may.

£5.00 may be nothing to you, but in those countries it may be a days wage, so give it a go. If you get ripped off you may have lost a fiver/tenner big deal-----you may get lucky !!!!!!!!