Remembered Today:

Chaplain 4 Class Frank Robert Harbord d. 8/8/17

Will O'Brien

As per CWGC

Name: HARBORD, THE REV. F. R.

Initials: F R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Army Chaplains' Dept.

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 25th Div. Chaplain's Depot.

Date of Death: 08/08/1917

Additional information: Vicar of Dunchurch, Rugby; husband of Edith C. Harbord.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. A. 1.

Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

& the cemetery details

Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Locality: Ieper, West-Vlaanderen

Location Information: Brandhoek New Military Cemetery is located 6.5 km west of Ieper town centre, on the Zevekotestraat, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. 6 km along the N308, after passing the village of Vlamertinge and just beyond the church in the hamlet of Brandhoek lies the left hand turning onto the Grote Branderstraat. After crossing the N38 Westhoekweg, the first right hand turning leads onto the Zevekotestraat. The cemetery is located 300 metres along the Zevekotestraat on the right hand side of the road, beyond the N38 dual carriageway, which it is necessary to cross.

Historical Information: During the First World War, Brandhoek was within the area comparatively safe from shell fire, which extended beyond Vlamertinghe Church. Field ambulances were posted there continuously. Until July 1917 burials had been made in the Military Cemetery, but the arrival of the 32nd, 3rd Australian and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations in preparation for the new Allied offensive launched that month made it necessary to open the New Military Cemetery, followed in August by the New Military Cemetery No 3. Brandhoek New Military Cemetery contains 530 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 28 German war graves. The burials are of July and August 1917 and among them is the grave of Captain Noel Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC, one of only three men who have won the Victoria Cross twice. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

No. of Identified Casualties: 558

• 2 years later...

From the New Zeland Archives website;

HARBORD, Rev F R, C.F., Vicar of Dunchurch, Rugby, son in law of Mr T Field of Remuera, was killed in action on 8 August. He had been at the front for a year and went through the battle of Messines. In his letters he always spoke in admiration of the NZ soldiers. He also served through the South African war as chaplain. He visited NZ some time ago. [AWN 30.08.1917]

Anyone help with this one please ?

• 3 years later...
From the New Zeland Archives website;

HARBORD, Rev F R, C.F., Vicar of Dunchurch, Rugby, son in law of Mr T Field of Remuera, was killed in action on 8 August. He had been at the front for a year and went through the battle of Messines. In his letters he always spoke in admiration of the NZ soldiers. He also served through the South African war as chaplain. He visited NZ some time ago. [AWN 30.08.1917]

Anyone help with this one please ?

Strange I should come across this thread nearly three years late but this chaplain was part of the reason why I started my POI file of War Cemeteries for the Tomtom Satnav.

I'm a bellringer at St Peter's Dunchurch and in the ringing room is a photograph of the Reverend Harbord. A sombre looking individual.

Local stories say that he did his stint in the South African war and completed one tour of duty in WW1. He volunteered to go back for another and was killed in action two days later. Apparently he was known for staying where he was needed, with the action at the front and this probably(sorry, obviously) cost him his life.

I visited his grave in 2009 and I'm going back this year, on my way to Ypres.

Frank Robert Harbord has a place in 'Greater Love' by Rev. David Youngson, a member of this Forum.

Harbord was made Deacon in 1890 and Priest in 1893 by the Bishop of Bloemfontein. He then held various appointments in the Orange River Colony. Acting Chaplain to the Forces in the Boer War, 1900-02; Curate of Yorktown with Camberley 1909/10; Pershore 1910-12; Vicar of Dunchurch from 1912. Died of wounds in Belgium as stated above, and remembered on the Aldershot Memorial.

D

• 3 weeks later...

Was he actually a ringer, or is his photo just there as the incumbent? He's not listed on the Central Council Roll of Honour, http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/?warID=1

I don't think he was a ringer. His photo probably hung in the church for years before being relegated to the ringing room. The photo shows him in his chaplain's uniform. I'm getting it scanned and then reframed.

The Rev Harbord is commemorated in his former parish church at Dunchurch. A plaque commemorates his service in the South African war and a magnificent stained glass window was paid for by his wife in his memory for his WW1 service. It contains the 25th Division sign and I believe he was attached to the Divisional artillery.

TR