Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walsall War Memorial Theft

GraemeClarke

Hi

Just picked up thye evening papers, the font page of which reports the theft of the following War Memorial

St. Mary's on the Mount, Caldmore Walsall

post-10072-0-31926700-1334252689.jpg post-10072-0-72557400-1334252725.jpg post-10072-0-81557900-1334252756.jpg

Amongst the names commemorated was that of Walsall only VC, John Henry Carless

What sort of people are these (NO best not answer that one !!)

Graeme

Graeme,

Sad day. The ironic thing is that they would get more money holding these for ransom than for scrap. But I bet their too scared and lacking imagination to do that.

Chris

Indeed, a very upsetting incident.. I first read about this particular theft from messages posted in the 'Friends of War Memorials' Facebook group. It was particularly sad to see the television clip of the blank spaces on the wall where the war memorials were originally placed.

A despicable act and very sad. Some people have no conscience or respect for anything :(

Unfortunatly, most of the people who do such acts, don't fully understand what the memorial stands for. Everytime I read an article of this nature, I am reminded of the little drunken puke who relieved himself on the National Cenotaph in Ottawa. He was caught on film. Should have been flogged but IIRC he got nothing.

Just scum! What are they thinking about before they do this sort of thing?

The value of the metal is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Cam :angry2:

• 3 months later...

The value of the metal is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

so the local authorities have decided to take the logical step of replacing the valuable metal with non-valuable materials Click

NigelS

• 11 years later...

Hi Graeme,

Just saw this, very sad indeed. I have only just been looking at Private John Henry Hale A.S.C. Died 22 May 1917 Royal Herbert Hospital.

Queen Mary's Grammar School Old Boy. 

My Great, Great Grandad loved this Church and was married there.

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello anyway. Your name crops up a lot when I look at other QM lads who were killed in the Great War.

Thank you for all your great work,

Steve

Hi Graeme, thank you for the picture, a better one that I have been able to find.

I am a family historian, and only have the very basics of the Military side.

I have looked at half the QMGS lads so far, alphabetically, working from the list Paul has online.

(I have never used Twitter)

I have not seen the School Roll of Honour since I left school, 50 years ago!

So yes,  I would be interested to find out any detail on what happened to Private Hale.

I can send you what I have found out on the family side, which may not add anything to what you already have.

Do you want me to send it here, or by email?

I am not sure of exactly what the proceedures etc are on this forum,

so am in need a bit of guidance,

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Graeme,

Just a thought. Did ever come across the late Cedric Fletcher of New Invention?

He was a member of the Western Front Association at Wolverhampton.

His mother and father were instrumental in setting up the Short Heath Branch of The Legion.

That was his real passion.

I miss him. He was my benchmark of excellence in this study.

Our families were very close, to say the least.

Warm Regards

Morning,

Here is what I have on Hale,

Thomas was born in Walsall on Thursday 16 August 1888 to Thomas Walter and Martha (née Hickman) Hale of 15, Mellish Road, Walsall and later of ‘Baggeridge’, 72, Lichfield Street, Walsall, his father being a self employed timber merchant trading as Thomas W. Hale Sawmills Company Limited, Hatherton Street, Walsall.

He was baptised at St. Mary’s The Mount Roman Catholic Church, Walsall on Tuesday 4 September 1888.

Completing his education at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall, John took employment as the Managing Director within his father’s firm.

Enlisting in the Army at Walsall on Monday 10 April 1916, he was drafted to Salonika as a driver in the Army Service Corps. After six months service John returned to England and was attached to a Cadet Battalion with a view to taking a commission in the cavalry.

He died at the Royal Herbert Military Hospital, Shooters Hill, Woolwich from septic poisoning following an operation at 29 years of age.

John was buried at 9pm on Saturday 26 May 1917 in the family vault at St. Mary’s The Mount Roman Catholic Church, Caldmore on the north side of the church. He is commemorated on the Walsall war memorial (plaques in the town hall and leather bound book held by Walsall LHC) and on the rolls of honour at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, St. Mary’s The Mount Church, Caldmore and St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Blue Lane, Walsall.

Be glad of any corrections etc. I presume you have visited his grave.

I am not aware of Cedric. I have been a member of the WFA but that was many, many years ago.

I have researched WW1 and WW2 RoH from the Walsall area, including Willenhall, Aldridge, Walsall Wood going as far out as Shenstone, Little Aston. Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington and Lichfield and rolls in between.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you so much. I cannot add anything at all about John Henry.

I suspected he was in the family Timber Business.

His brothers Wilfred Edgar and Thomas Leo had a very successsful Iron Foundry, Hale and Hale of Tipton.

I was a member of Willenhall History Society, some time ago now.

Many thanks again,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Graeme,

I hope you are well.

Thanks again for all the information on John Henry Harding.

I also have a particular interest in the Great War Willenhall lads, through my Mom's Banks family.

I have been researching Driver Charles Horace Harding 1126. 4 Staffs Batt A/232 3rd North Midland Bde. R.F.A.

K.I.A. 14 Oct 1916    'Native of Willenhall'

I have found some information about him, but have not managed to find a photograph anywhere.

Have you ever come across anything?

Thank you in anticipation, all the very best,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have researched Willenhall War Memorial too so I am sure I have something.

I am away from my computer for a week so will reply when I regain access.

Regards,

Graeme

Morning,

Back from hols.

He is on Willenhall Roh and QM School. His record is also available from the usual sites. Again, be grateful for any corrections.

Charles was born in Willenhall, the son of John and Mary Ann (née Hunt) Harding of 66, Albion Road, Willenhall and later of 16, Gower Terrace, Willenhall, his father being a postman. His mother predeceased him in 1915.

He was educated at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall.

A fitter employed by E. Hicklin and Company Limited, Charles enlisted in the Army at Wolverhampton on Friday 18 April 1913 and was drafted to France on Sunday 28 February 1915.

He was killed during the latter stages of the Somme offensive whilst serving south west of Arras, apparently by shellfire.

His father wrote of him,

“I was informed by Sergeant Brillain who called to see me and who was the first to see my son after his death, that he had been under very heavy shellfire from the enemy all day, repairing telephone wires, as soon as they were blown down he was repairing them.

He said if any man ever deserved the V.C. then he did, I know he was a brave lad.”

The War Diary records,

“13 to 14 October 1916 - Pommier.

On both the 13th and 14th Berles was very heavily shelled all the morning. A/232 detached section moving to new position at W.14.d.30.70 during the night of 13/14th.”

Harold is buried in Berles-Au-Bois Churchyard Extension, 10 miles south west of Arras, in Grave O.1. He was 19 years of age and is also commemorated on Queen Mary’s Grammar School War Memorial.

A post war address of Deptford House, Barnstaple is recorded for his father.

Two brothers also served. Herbert John served in the Royal Engineers in France, possibly with regimental number 361276 and Ralph served as a Lieutenant in India.

1 Harding.JPG

Thank you so much Graeme, especially for the photograph of his resting place.

Knowing Willenhall so well, and having worked for my uncle as a teenager, not far away fom Nicklins,

'Horace's' story moved me greatly, when I found some of the details you have posted.

A brave lad indeed.

I hope to visit France next year, and am hoping to be able to pay my respects in person.

Thanks again,

Steve

1 hour ago, GraemeClarke said:

W.14.d.30.70

Here is one of Haig's personal maps from June 1916 showing A/232 detached, plus some of the gun positions around Pommier and Berles, together with the location of the Berles-au-Bois Churchyard Extension..

image.png.77c09b216624f865950c383e2f1c12e9.png