Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greatcoats

mhurst

Coat, Warm, British.

This short coat was issued prior to the start of the war, with its issue being extended to Army Cyclist Troops in 1915.

" It has been decided to substitute ' Coats, warm, British ' for ' Coats, great, drab, dismounted ' in the scale of clothing for men of the Army Cyclist Corps, and indents may be put forward accordingly. The Coat, warm, British ' will be taken when proceeding on active service."

( War Office letter ACD/Cyclists/70 ( RACD ) 13th February, 1915 )

The photograph shows the Coat, Warm, British, 1915 with details of its blanket material lining. Also shown is the coat's 1915 sealed pattern label.

LF

Thank you for this and the other information, and for the reference to J Bodworth's book. I see it's now been reissued as a print-on-demand paperback by Paul Meekins Military and History Books at £49.99, but this is a bit beyond my budget at present...

Liz

Once again my thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post, especially to Lancashire Fusilier for the excellent photographs.

It seems as though there is almost nothing concerning the FWW that one cannot discover by asking for help on this forum - long may it continue.

Melvin

Thank you for this and the other information, and for the reference to J Bodworth's book. I see it's now been reissued as a print-on-demand paperback by Paul Meekins Military and History Books at £49.99, but this is a bit beyond my budget at present...

Liz

Liz,

A nice book for your gift list next Christmas. Should you need any information on uniform items, as with the Greatcoats, just PM me and I shall gladly look and see if there is anything in the book.

Regards,

LF

Once again my thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post, especially to Lancashire Fusilier for the excellent photographs.

It seems as though there is almost nothing concerning the FWW that one cannot discover by asking for help on this forum - long may it continue.

Melvin

Pleased to help.

LF

Excellent photograph showing the 1916 kit, this for a corporal in the East Lancs.

The Greatcoat is folded in the pile made up of :-

SD Cap - Cardigan - SD Jacket and Trousers - Greatcoat.

LF

post-63666-0-71633300-1334326333.jpg

An Orderly in Pattern 1903 marching order, with the rolled Greatcoat carried in bandolier fashion.

LF

post-63666-0-27448500-1334327649.jpg

Royal Marine Medical Unit photographed on February 18th, 1916, with Greatcoats worn in the bandolier fashion.

Also note neck flaps attached to their caps.

LF

post-63666-0-44483000-1334328069.jpg

Great piece of clothing for keeping the frost out, quite heavy to wear, I was never cold when wearing one and as some already commented, makes a great blanket. I wouldn't want to wear one if it was saturated with mud and water.

khaki

Royal Marine Medical Unit photographed on February 18th, 1916, with Greatcoats worn in the bandolier fashion.

Also note neck flaps attached to their caps.

LF

I've always been intrigued by how the two rolled ends of the coat were actually fastened together. In this photo most of them seem to have the same strap-like fastening. Does anyone know if there was a strap - webbing or leather that was designed for the purpose?

Dave Upton

Mt grand-father certainly kept his great coat when he was demobbed. It acted as the eiderdown on my bed whenever I visited him as a child.

Liz

hAVE A LOOK AT THE REVIEWS ETC. ON THIS fORUM BEFORE DECIDING .......... some were rather unhappy.

Liz

Footnote to all this: the rank chevrons were slightly bigger [official issue, but I suspect not always followed]. There were many sleeve badges NOT TO BE WORN with the greatcoat .......... again, officially. And some shoulder titles were different from the jacket, not many.

Dave, I'm not sure but I think these were used to keep the two ends in place? http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1903/components/1903_equipment_carriers.html

Hi Rob.

I've always understood these carriers were designed to worn on the back with the coat suitably rolled and folded so that the carrier could cope with it. These actually intrigue me just as much because I can't think of a single photo I've ever seen of anyone carrying the greatcoat in this fashion, plush I don't know in what circumstances you might want to make use of one of these arrangements, as they are doing much the same as the Pack was designed to do. If anyone can turn up a picture I would be well impressed. If you look at the previously posted group photo, each of the men seem to have the same arrangement keeping the two ends of the coat bound together. Something as simple as some cord or rope would do the job perfectly and I bet this was done, but in this photo they all seem to have a particular type of strap - to me it looks much wider than a 1" webbing strap as might be expected and because they look quite bright I suspect they have been blancoed or whitened if they are leather?

Dave

Hi Rob.

These actually intrigue me just as much because I can't think of a single photo I've ever seen of anyone carrying the greatcoat in this fashion?

Dave

Dave,

This good side-on photograph shows the backpack in use.

I assume the top roll on the backpack is the ground sheet rolled around the blanket, and the bottom roll is the rolled Greatcoat.

LF

post-63666-0-03686600-1334696150.jpg

In this photograph, we see what is probably the Greatcoat folded and then secured to the backpack with straps.

LF

post-63666-0-52696200-1334698016.jpg

Very good LF! Have you any info on the dates of these two photos, judging by the leather pouches etc they look very early to me. I'm also further intrigued by the chaps kneeling to camera. Their overall kit configuration is something I'm not particularly familiar with - it’s not Pattern 1908 for sure. I almost wonder if they are testing an experimental kit arrangement.

Dave

Have you any info on the dates of these two photos.

Dave

The first photograph shows a Private with the CEF, wearing the 1899 ' Oliver ' Valise Equipment used during 1914/15.

Sadly, this young man was killed near Ypres on April 6, 1916.

In the second photograph, the group of four men from the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, are wearing 1903 equipment.

LF

To add even more Greatcoat carrying options, in this 1914 photograph, Royal Engineer signalers are seen in marching order with their Greatcoats rolled inside their groundsheets, and then worn bandolier fashion.

LF.

post-63666-0-21013600-1334702599.jpg

Looking closely at the chap in the foreground it looks as if the two ends have been brought together with a single strap or possibly a length of rope?

Dave

I've always understood these carriers were designed to worn on the back with the coat suitably rolled and folded so that the carrier could cope with it. These actually intrigue me just as much because I can't think of a single photo I've ever seen of anyone carrying the greatcoat in this fashion, plush I don't know in what circumstances you might want to make use of one of these arrangements, as they are doing much the same as the Pack was designed to do. If anyone can turn up a picture I would be well impressed.

This is quite right Dave - the Khaki Web site also has some excellent recreated photos of the same set-up to show it at its best from various angles:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1903/1903_set_%20displays.html

the same set-up to show it at its best from various angles:

Andrew,

The set-up 1903 display, is the same as in the post #44 1903 equipment photograph, as it should be.

Regards,

LF