Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MLE MkI*

4thGordons

here's another rifle that the same gentleman bought from me a few weeks ago. He's a fine, fine Englishman who is now living in The States. This rifle was made by LSA. It still retains its original Clearing Rod. This rifle was meant to be used in competition on the target ranges. My eye's can no longer focus on rifle sights and so I decided to pass the rifle's on to someone with better vision! Fred

pix720848937.jpg

pix584815482.jpg

pix724940073.jpg

Fred,

I wish I had known this one was for sale!!

Regards,

LF

I wish that you did too. However, it went pretty quick the 2nd time I put it up on Gunbroker.com . The buyer missed it the first time as well. You can find it on Gunbroker.com if you go there and type in item #289314261. You'll see a lot more pictures of it as well as the acuterements that I threw in on the deal. Cheers, Fred

I wish that you did too. However, it went pretty quick the 2nd time I put it up on Gunbroker.com . The buyer missed it the first time as well. You can find it on Gunbroker.com if you go there and type in item #289314261. You'll see a lot more pictures of it as well as the acuterements that I threw in on the deal. Cheers, Fred

Well that is just rubbing it in! I search g-broker all the time and I comepletely missed this too! no idea how given I search most of the terms you have in the title. Oh well.

Chris

• 1 month later...
There were also CLLMetfords (I have never actually seen a real one!) and these also have adjustable foresights and ears - but the ears are slightly different (and marked with an M) because those for the CLLE (marked with an E) had to allow for more offset. If you look at Lee-Enfields you will often find the foresight is noticelable off centre.

Any idea if those front sights where just high-temp silver soldered on, or set in a dovetail cut?

Any idea if those front sights where just high-temp silver soldered on, or set in a dovetail cut?

I believe the fore sights on the CLLM are identical to those on the CLLE with a dovetail cut into a block that is soldered to the barrel (as opposed to the later SMLE where the block is on a band fitted around the barrel and held in place by a block and pin.

So the variations are MLM/MLE: (and carbine variants) fixed block sight, CLLM/CLLE: fixed block with dovetailed blade, ShtLE : Block on band and adjustable dovetailed blade.

If I am remembering correctly - the .303 Martini rifles have a fixed block.

As with all things Enfield there are also discrepancies and variations:.

My IP CLLE shown above has a fixed foresight (thus no protectors), "Range Pattern" conversions of MLE/CLLE (shortened to SHtLE length) often have the muzzle turned to reduce the diameter and allow for a ShtLE band/clock/dovetail sight (although I have one with yet another pattern of a block with a slot in for the fitting of a separate thin blade) I also have what I believe to be and Indian converted LEC which has a CLLE fixed block/dovetailed blade!) :blink:

Chris

Some snaps to illustrate

post-14525-0-99137000-1345728377_thumb.j

MLE

post-14525-0-01682800-1345728389_thumb.j

early .22 trainer (similar to CLLE/CLLM)

post-14525-0-66304800-1345728422_thumb.j

ShtLE

post-14525-0-51953300-1345728398_thumb.j

Indian carbine odditiy

post-14525-0-54554500-1345728411_thumb.j

Range rifle odditiy

So the variations are MLM/MLE: (and carbine variants) fixed block sight, CLLM/CLLE: fixed block with dovetailed blade, ShtLE : Block on band and adjustable dovetailed blade.

If I am remembering correctly - the .303 Martini rifles have a fixed block.

Thanks 4th, I've been messing with Enfields for awhile and am familiar with the later sights, but the Martini/MLM sight base has me stumped. Need to remove the sight base, guess I'll try sweating it and see what runs off.

Also, sent you an email directly a few days ago and hadn't heard back.

Thanks 4th, I've been messing with Enfields for awhile and am familiar with the later sights, but the Martini/MLM sight base has me stumped. Need to remove the sight base, guess I'll try sweating it and see what runs off.

Also, sent you an email directly a few days ago and hadn't heard back.

Not sure that I got that email... I'll check.(apologies in advance for my failure to respond -- start of Semester is always a blizzard of email)

post-14525-0-82744000-1345730347_thumb.j

Here is a snap of my Martini-Enfield foresight so others can see what is under discusion-- I can only assume this is soldered/braised in place - such things are beyond my limited technical ability!

Out of interest - why do you need to remove the base? are you working with a carbine and need to remove the front band or...... (just being nosey!)

Chris

EDIT: found your email (in my spam!) -- responded!

Edited by 4thGordons