Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers in Wervicq October 1918

Martin E

Hi

I am trying to find out what the Royal Engineers were doing on or around 14 October 1918 in the Wervicq area.

I am reseraching Corporal 85356 Alexander Small who was there on that date.

I am visiting the area later this month and would like to follow in his footsteps

Martin E

Hi

I am trying to find out what the Royal Engineers were doing on or around 14 October 1918 in the Wervicq area.

I am reseraching Corporal 85356 Alexander Small who was there on that date.

I am visiting the area later this month and would like to follow in his footsteps

Martin E

Hello Martin,

If you are in Wervik, you must visit the National Tobacco Museum ( there are traffic marks, you can't miss) . There is an exhibition about German Reservist pipes.

http://www.nationaal...tail.aspx?id=10 . Hope you will be able to open the pages in english.

By the way, at the end of the week I see a historian who lives in Wervik. I will speak about this..... maybe they were bridging as the river Lys is situated here, it's the border between France and Belgium.... ?

Jef

Hello Martin,

Had my friend on the phone and he told me RE of the 30th Div were making a bridge on the river Lys around 14 October 1918

He also advice you to visit the German cemetery in Wervicq-Sud, on the other side of the Lys( that's in France) when you are in Wervik. He promised me some tourist information. If you want to I can scan this for you.

Hope this is of any assistance,

Jef

• 5 years later...

Hello Jef

I am so sorry I have not replied to this mail

I dont know why and Im sure Ive been on since 2012

I feel terrible about this

I went to Wervik and enjoyed the visit

I will contact my friend Peter who is related to Cpl Small and ask what he has further

Thank you again

Martin

No worries, Martin. Let me know if I can help you.

Jef

From the war diary of the 207th RE :

Oct 14 Screening Hollebeke Zandvoorde road. Pontoons moved forwards in order to be ready to bridge Lys canal.

Oct 16 left camp at Hollebeke and proceeded to Gheluwe  (Note: this is now part of Wervik)

Oct 17 Building footbridge at 28.R.17.d.5.7.  Repairing road crater at 28.R.13.b.1.5.

That bridge was to the west of Menin and Alexander Small might not have been with the 207th but it gives an idea.

I seem to recall that there was another bridge between Wervik and Menin but can't find who made that one.

Regards,

Luc.