Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15.Bn.CEF Bonnet Badge

Guest Chip Minx

Guest Chip Minx

The badge on my 1918 dated bonnet is white metal. From everything that I have been able to read, the enlisted badge should be brass. Is this badge the wrong one for an issue enlisted man's bonnet? What would a piper, bandsman or officer wear?

Thanks,

Chip

post-23-1091927173.jpg

The badge that you have imaged is the 48th Highlanders of Canada "buckle" pattern cap badge. This badge was worn by the militia unit in the period before and after World War One, but was not the cap badge of the 15th Battalion. The usual Canadian Expeditionary Force badge was bronze with the scroll "15th Canadian Battn". Other patterns were used in WW1, which were similar to the badge illustrated, but had a CANADA scroll added below the annulus. The other ranks badges were usually bronze finish. White metal or silver were officers issue.

Images of the CEF badges can be found at Canuck, The Canadian Soldier. On the side bar menu, use the link to UNIFORM INSIGNIA and look under the link 1-100 Bns CEF. Two images of 15th Battalion badges are posted there.

I should add that the white metal militia period bonnet badge that is pictured was worn by other ranks and is not an officer's or pipers badge. The officer's militia period badge was sterling silver.

Guest Chip Minx

Bill,

Thanks for the evaluation. Could you tell me what the relative value of the militia period vs the WWI period badges would be? Just curious as to whether it will cost me to swop this one out for a WWI example.

Chip

Hi Chip, Values are notoriously difficult to establish. As a guideline only, the buckle badge that you have is in the range of $30-$40 US. The 15th Bn badge is much more difficult to peg, but $60 to $75 US would be reasonable. Make sure you are getting a badge in excellent condition. The 15th Bn badge is not common, but not rare either.

Chip...although a militia unit, this badge pattern was worn by the 48th in WWII in white metal. Mobilized on 1 Sept, '39 and embarked for U.K. on Dec 16th, '39. It was part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Div ("the D-Day Dodgers" which made them justifyably angry)

Landing in Sicily, Assoro, Ortona, Liri Valley, Hiltler Line, Gothic Line, etc.

Quite an outfit, but not WWI.

DrB ;)

There are several varieties of the 48th Highlanders cap badge. The World War Two pattern is the badge at the top right. Comparing it to the badge on the top left, one can note that the buckle device has been removed. The buckle badge was associated with the militia period, before 1914. Evidence suggests that the buckle badge was worn into the 1920's at least. However by the time the 48th went overseas in 1939, they were wearing the pattern of badge at the top right. It was approved by GO 71 of 1922. The brass badge in the World War 2 pattern is apparently an economy issue. The badge at the bottom right is the current issue badge for the regiment. Note the similarity in the strikings. The current badge has a slider and a plated finish. There also appear to be subtle differences in the die strikings. 48thhighbadges.jpg