Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC help

oscarquebec

I'm researching my great uncle and come across his MIC. We know that he was injured at Hill 60 in May 1915 and whilst at the dressing station diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease and sent home. We know he received the Silver War Badge and his MIC suggests he received the British War Medal, Victory Medal and the 1914 Star. Or could it be the 1914 1915 Star? Help interpreting the MIC would be appreciated; I think I've got my head around the difference between the two stars, but much of the short hand on the card remains a mystery.

post-86894-0-49739800-1333641602.jpg

Hi there,

It's a 1914 star, as stated on the card and also confirmed in his pension records.

The reference and page numbers next to each medal refer to the entries in the medal rolls.

Dis.d = discharged

21/8/1914 is his date of entry to France.

SWB List C/60 refers to the SWB roll here; http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2456&iid=wo329_626640_1162-00062&fn=James+Alfred&ln=Wake&st=r&ssrc=&pid=169159

Hi it would have been 14 star.The writing in the box with medal names refers to the medal roll number and page in the roll.Disd = Discharged.The cross below James links to the cross next to victory medal sugesting Entry is to james.The number nex to swb is list number for silver war badge.Qualifying date = date entered war theatre.john

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

Gunnersdad,

Definatley awarded the 1914 Star, no mention of the award of the clasp for it though, the qualifying date shown on the MIC, 21/08/14, shows he entered the theatre of war, in this case France on that date.

Hope this is of some help,

Donny

On another note, as his pension records state that his condition was aggravated by military service, is he entitled to be commemorated?

Thank you all so much. There is much I don't know, but this is a great place to learn.

Mal