Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elusive Royal Navy Reserve man

depaor01

Good day all,

A work colleague asked me to look up two relatives which I did on my Ancestry subscription. One man was problematic. His info is:

James Bonnie, born Dublin 1884. Served in the Royal Naval Reserve Force from 15/10/1914 until discharge on the 14/10/1919. He was a Leading Stoker and his number is 3631/S. He served on the HMS Duke of Edinburgh during the Battle of Jutland.

I'm not asking for a lookup, but maybe someone might have a go at finding this guy on Ancestry and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Unusually (I think) no medal index card exists for him. I was able to get his WWI medal entitlements under the "UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972" and his number is correct.

Thanks in advance lads/ladies,

Dave

Naval people do not have Medal Index Cards, which link to Army Medal Rolls. He is not "on Ancestry" (other than Naval Medal Roll which you already have).

His original RNR Record of Service is held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and Kew have microfilm copies.

Naval people do not have Medal Index Cards, which link to Army Medal Rolls. He is not "on Ancestry" (other than Naval Medal Roll which you already have).

His original RNR Record of Service is held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and Kew have microfilm copies.

As you can see, the Royal Navy is outside my comfort zone!

Thanks Horatio2,

Dave

• 5 months later...

James Bonnie was my great grandfather.born 11 June 1886,enlisted in royal naval reserve force from Dublin gasworks on 15 oct 1914 aged 28.at that time he was 5,61/2ft tall,38" chest,of fair complexion with brown eyes.his address was 18 boyne st Dublin.

Commenced training at the training centre hms vivid in Plymouth on 21 oct 1914.

Joined the crew of hms duke of Edinburgh on7 dec 1914.

Transferred to hms Beatrice 19 June 1917,then hms vivid 20 sept 1917,dartmouth traing depot 31 dec 1917 to 15 feb 1919.

Demobbed from hms vivid 10 April 1919.

Rank achieved leading stoker, awarded 1914,15,16,17,18 chevrons,1914-15 star,British war medal and victory medal.

Was promoted to leading stoker on 1 January 1918.

This information is from his service record obtained only recently from national archives in kew. I could not get anything on him for years until now.