Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire 2nd Birmingham Battalion

ATNOMIS

Pals

The second of the cap badges from a house clearence. 15th Battalion (2nd Birmingham Pals)

Your thoughts please. This badge felt thin in parts. As I have never seen a badge of this type I was unsure of it being genuine.

Regards and Thanks in advance

Simon

DSC03018.jpg

DSC03019.jpg

Sorry to say that it is a modern dud. The lettering on the scrolls is too big, and rounded. Here is a picture of the front a of known genuine one, via the British Military Badge Forum of the 1st Battalion.

post-573-0-18397800-1333554550.jpg

And here is the back.

post-573-0-99254500-1333554733.jpg

Many say that only a 'furry' antelope is genuine - but I've been handling these badges since the 1970s and that's not definitive.

Agreed...dud!!!

TT

Sorry to say that it is a modern dud. The lettering on the scrolls is too big, and rounded. Here is a picture of the front a of known genuine one, via the British Military Badge Forum of the 1st Battalion.

post-573-0-18397800-1333554550.jpg

And here is the back.

post-573-0-99254500-1333554733.jpg

Many say that only a 'furry' antelope is genuine - but I've been handling these badges since the 1970s and that's not definitive.

Sorry I'm ignorant in such things and am struggling to understand why such items would be copied, just how much would such an object cost to buy if genuine?

Regards

Will

Genuine examples range between £125 £225 dependant on battalion. 1st seem more common than other two battalions.

Re how to tell genuine examples there are a number of indicators other than fur!

Regards

TT

Money is always the motivator. These fakes (as they are, because they are made to deceive) cost a couple of quid each to make. Sold as reproductions they can go for £5-6, still a profit. Then they slip into the channels with disclaimers like 'I know nothing about badges' - but still asking £20-30, a supposed 'bargain'.

With the Birmingham Pals badges, the sliding scale of price from the 1st (14th Bn) to the 3rd (16th) is a complete construct of the market - the three battalions were formed at the same time; had comparable numbers of men; served in the same places in the main and roughly comparable casualty rates. So there should not be a 'relative scarcity' scale. It is not as if the 3rd Bn was smaller or existed for a shorter time.

Money is always the motivator. These fakes (as they are, because they are made to deceive) cost a couple of quid each to make. Sold as reproductions they can go for £5-6, still a profit. Then they slip into the channels with disclaimers like 'I know nothing about badges' - but still asking £20-30, a supposed 'bargain'.

With the Birmingham Pals badges, the sliding scale of price from the 1st (14th Bn) to the 3rd (16th) is a complete construct of the market - the three battalions were formed at the same time; had comparable numbers of men; served in the same places in the main and roughly comparable casualty rates. So there should not be a 'relative scarcity' scale. It is not as if the 3rd Bn was smaller or existed for a shorter time.

Thanks for all the replies, most informative.

Regards

Will