Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War rifle collecting

Khaki

If someone put two rifles, let's say 1916 smle No1 Mk111*, on a table in front of me, both for sale, same price, identical in every respect with the exception one exhibits 96 years of honest wear and tear (no abuse) and the other is, let's say in, as new, condition obviously never seen field use, which one would I purchase?

It would be a difficult choice, but I would opt for the used battle rifle every time, I just cannot get past historical Great War probable useage against investment potential. In the past I have had those choices. I know I have heard it said many times, "buy the best you can afford" and with coins and medals they are probably correct.

What say you?

khaki

I recently purchased the exact rifle you mentioned with lots of wear and tear and war time use and I love it that way, as with most of my collection I like to see this as you know it's "been there"

I have a british 17 bayo to fit but it's mint and looks unused, I don't get the same feeling when holding this piece

Go for used every time

Andy

"I just cannot get past historical Great War probable useage against investment potential". I agree 100%. I collect because I enjoy the collecting the story or possible story of an item, i enjoy the item and the possibility of investment potential never comes into the picture. The wear and tear wins for me every time.

Cheers Clarke

Have just bought a 1916 dated smelly, wear and tear knocks and all, must confess i like it more than my 1917 one, which wasn't issued, has lovely woodwork and furniture. The 1916 with its warts and all appearance makes the rifle come alive, if only they could talk. I bought the '16 dated rifle because I liked it and it goes well in my collection, buying it as investment never enters my head. As soon as its in my collection, much to the chagrin of my Wife it essentially becomes monetarily worthless as I'll probably never sell it, although its historical context is priceless to me.

I collect based on condition. If every item in my collection looked like it just rolled off the assembly line that would be fine with me.

My main issue with rifles that “saw service” is there is no way to determine what kind of service it was. Was it in the trenches or did it occur once the rifle was downgraded and used for training? Thousands and thousands of obsolete Enfields were old as surplus in the U.S. in the 1950s and 1960s. They were very cheap and I am sure many were used and abused by American hunters. Many of these now look like they saw years on the battle fields of France.

Ed

"Worn and Torn" for me every time :thumbsup:

... i like it more than my 1917 one, which wasn't issued, has lovely woodwork and furniture.....

Let's see a picture please! I would love to know how one acquires an unissued 1917 rifle!

Regards

TonyE

I think science could determine the 'travels' of a rifle based on an examination of pollen, seeds, dirt and other material found between the stock and receiver/barrel. Whether this would be prohibitive price wise I don't know.

khaki